Engine Code "9" - CID Sensor

Shaddow

Question

Hi,

Through normal maintenance, I replaced my dizzy cap and rotor last weekend. Car drove fine during the week (circa 400 miles), then one evening on way home, I lost power and car died.

Removing the dizzy cap, I found the rotor screw had come lose, rotor had destroyed itself and thus not making connections and giving spark).

Managed to get the car recovered to home and replaced the rotor arm and dizzy cap (Did not want to risk any damage the arm could have done the the cap).

A few seconds after starting the car now, the engine light come on.

I took the car out and it stuttered at low rpm at first, but once warm, there was no issue. Pulled through all the gears and all the way up to the red line.

Shorting the 2 pins together, the light flashes 9 times.

"CID Sensor (Number 1 Cylinder position) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor"

Can anyone help on why I get this error and how to fix it!

Is the car OK to drive with this error? (Need to drive to work, doing 600miles a week / 120 a day).

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Took the cap and rotor arm back off, removed the plastic shield and inspected the area. Could not see any direct damage.

I assume the sensor is the magnet towards the rear of the car that picks up on the semi-circular metal arm.

Is there a way to replace just the sensor, or is itr a complete new distributor?

Either way, any recommendations on place to buy them from. Dont seem Eurocarparts stock it.

I assume the car will be OK to drive?

Car seems a bit hesitant if I push accel hard / instant. Better with a smoother pedal operation.

Also struggles a bit more on idle now.

If no damage can be done by driving, then great, but as mentioned, I drive 600miles a week. Really dont weant to wreck the engine.

Thanks