MC2 Fog lights not working. Relay?

EMP

Question

Hi there lads!

Today i got my new "ring" fog lights i ordered from ebay, i read about changing the oems out in i diy i found here.

I went straight to the garage, removed the old beaten ones, (They have never worked since i bought the car and the rust had eaten them) installed the new ones but then the fun ended...

When i press the button for front fog lights the button light does not come on.
I have checked the fuse, its ok.
I have checked the ground to the fogs, its ok.

I have checked both front wiring thru the contact and i get 0v.
The rear fog are working, and the light on the button comes on, and i can find and hear the relay for it.
When i read the WSM for the mc2 only the rear light relay is pictured, when i check the fuse layout it says "Front fog lights (Via front fog light realy)"
But i cant find the relay (There is one right? :-P) for the front fogs..

First post btw!  applause.gif1

9 answers to this question

If I remember rightly there are two relays for the front fogs mate. One is located in the dash on the drivers side, near the "A" post I think, and one is on or near the fusebox (inside the car). Either of those could be your fault. Are you deffo getting power at the plugs that go into the fog lights? If so, it could well be a relay thats gone. 

PS: someone please correct if I'm wrong about the relays please! I retro fitted front fogs to my old MA8 and I'm possitive I added 2 relays that came with the OEM wiring harness'

Thanks for the reply!

"Are you deffo getting power at the plugs that go into the fog lights?"

If deffo means sure/positive/certain then no. I get no power at the two plugs that connects to the fogs at the front.

If you mean the plug behind the button by the cluster then yes!

I Will search for the two relays tomorrow. Wish me luck. ;)

Yes deffo means sure/possitive lol :-D  If not power at the fogs then will most probably be one of those relays. Before you go and buy new ones though, check the wiring harness from the fogs up to the inner wing.Theres a connector just to the front of the strut. It plugs into another harness there that takes it into the cabin. If you can, get some wire and use it (along with a multimeter) to check for any breaks in that harness. It can also be dirty/corroded terminals/plugs in that wiring harness too, but easy to check as it's quite a small harness. Whereas most other manufacturers run one harness from the front of the car into the cabin, we're quite lucky with the civic M's in that the fog light harness comes in three parts

Hi, and thanks again for the replys!

Continuity tested the button and bam! No continuity! ;)

Jumped the contact with a little bit of wire, turned the lights on and the fogs worked flawless! :D

• Like 1

Excellent! Glad thats sorted that out mate, and easy peasy to replace the switch! If you need a new one (they can sometimes be hard to find being the twin fogs (front / rear) switch, I've got a few in stock. Just pm me if you need any ;-)

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer but i dont need it. ;)

Took it apart, soldered, and its now good to go!

You can see in the picture below why it didnt work.  :-D Thanks again for the help. :)

11167512_10155514282375441_1485411354_o.

• Like 1