Performance mods - D16Y3??

UrbanRunner

I've searched as much as i possibly can for modified D16Y3's but can't seem to find any simple performance modifications. I'm not the most mechanically minded geezer :oops: but I've been thinking about cams, pistons and a chip (as far as i understand you can remap the ecus on 2000 plate onward cars but pre-2000 the chip has to be replaced?) also the basic aftermarket exhaust system and cai.

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to tuning this engine... :roll:

Cheers guys!!

first of all set yourself realistic goals based on the funds you have available. the first thing you want to do is get the engine breathing in and out more easilty with a cold air intake and a free flowing exhaust.

then you have to decide what road you want to go down

rebuild with cams and engine mods

idividual throttle bodies

or mabey a turbo set up. but like i said it depends on what you want, how much you have to spend and if its realy worth all that trouble on a d16y3.

and any drastic mods will need a remap and set up on a rolling road.

Thanks for your reply...

I'm yet to upgrade the exhaust so that's the next mod on the list...

Any tips as to what to go for? eg. manifold, decat, downpipe. I'm not entirely sure what all of these do or how they affect performance and emissions - but I'm here to learn so any help is majorley appreciated!!

If I were to go for the cams/pistons/remap route would the engine need to be rebuilt then?

I've decided the turbo route is going to be way out of my budget so thats a no-no :cry:

What kind of gains are to be expected from throttle bodies? Is it a lot of work?

exhaust - you basicly want to replace the whole thing with a stainless steel exhaust, decat, and obviously your silencer and mabey a silencer in between to quietin it down a bit but its up to you how to want it to sound. a good exhaust fab place could do you one for 350 - 400. you could always just get a cat back and a decat for now. your car will fail an emissions test without the cat and if the police pull you and check underneath and see you aint got a cat then you will be made to put it back on and you will also need to put it on for getting a new mot then off again lol. or spend money on a hi flowing sports cat.

Archived