Weird power steering..heavy,light,heavy,light..

syzsounds

Ow do .. T reg aerodeck ..

Power steering has been weird since i got the car just over a month ago, Its heavy and wants to self centre when driving slowly and the pump is making a whining noise and stupidly light and twitchy when above 60 (x2) :D

The fluid was replaced by me when i got the car as it was black and tbh it was my first port of call for the problem.

Is this likely to just be the pump or the rack ?

Any checks or whatnot i can do to make sure its rack or pump , It needs sorting as its ruining the drive at the mo and i godamn love this car !

Cheers...

Oh .. no leaks ..

Sounds like an air lock in the system mate.

Make sure the fluid is right topped up, turn all way to right, hold it there for 20 seconds.

Turn all way to other side, hold it again, then right, then left etc.

Do that about 5 times each side...

See if it makes any difference!

Sounds like an air lock in the system mate.

Make sure the fluid is right topped up, turn all way to right, hold it there for 20 seconds.

Turn all way to other side, hold it again, then right, then left etc.

Do that about 5 times each side...

See if it makes any difference!

I have ... its done sod all...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've had it up on the ramps and thoroughly checked everything, Not a thing wrong with the front end or so i can see/wiggle/hang off.

The rear is a different story , Rear shocks are dead .. and i mean falling over to one side/peeing oil out dead !

So that first to get done, Are there any options for stiffening things up WITHOUT dropping the car to the floor ?

I've had lowered cars before and do not want the whole " Am i going to rip my underside to pieces if i hit a pebble" thing.

Still loving this car though except for the rear speakers ... Who the hell made those paper thin pieces a crap !

I need to get modding .... :D

• 2 weeks later...
MGZS Shocks / Springs combo are good mate, slightly lower, around 25mm drop, and a bit stiffer than MB suspension! Not to mension cheaper!

yeah and also try and get a zs rear antiroll bar, there slightly thicker than the honda one and also they last longer due to the fact that they don't have drop links.

MGZS Shocks / Springs combo are good mate, slightly lower, around 25mm drop, and a bit stiffer than MB suspension! Not to mension cheaper!

yeah and also try and get a zs rear antiroll bar, there slightly thicker than the honda one and also they last longer due to the fact that they don't have drop links.

Don's have drop links..... Aren't you a mechanic Phil? :D

What holds the ARB to the LCA? Voodoo magic? :D

They do have links, but the are designed differently to the Honda OEM ones, incidentally, they use the same design as the DC2! So are much stronger due to not having the crappy ball joint type design.

Well, ..It would seem that the rear shocks were that badly aged and saggy that the whole car suffered as a result.

I have now fitted (After a f*ck load of swearing and a badly damaged thumb) polybushed rear arms and Adjustable Koni yellows meant for a 220 coupe and fitted the decks springs.

The transformation is amazing !

She now goes round corners much better than before, The back doesn't drag and the front doesn't seem to go up in the air ! Set on medium hard for the time being.

It grips better, Launches better, FEELS better.

Those bloody rear arm to body bolts though, My god i thought i'd past all that crap when finishing with buying and modding rovers. Nothing a gas axe and a 9 inch 110 grinder with cutting disc didnt sort, Although the job was easier on the drivers side as the bolt snapped ! The captive 19mm nuts decided to part company too so new nylocs sorted that.

Finally making it my car .. :D:D

Archived