Removing original radio?

ScottishCivic

So I've been a bit busy over the last few months so not had time to have another crack at the radio, finally had another go today though……..and no luck :(. Took out the glovebox as suggested but that didn't help much. There seems to be some more crap in the way before I can get to the sled for the radio? Anyway I've made a video showing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_3pEAKeBEs . The second half of the video isn't great since I couldn't see what I was pointing it at, but hopefully you get the idea.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been a bit busy over the last few months so not had time to have another crack at the radio, finally had another go today though……..and no luck :(. Took out the glovebox as suggested but that didn't help much. There seems to be some more crap in the way before I can get to the sled for the radio? Anyway I've made a video showing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_3pEAKeBEs . The second half of the video isn't great since I couldn't see what I was pointing it at, but hopefully you get the idea.

Having seen the video the radio removel keys you are using are not Pionner ones but infact Sony ones if memory serves well get your self a set of original Pioneer ones and it should come out with ease.

Having seen the video the radio removel keys you are using are not Pionner ones but infact Sony ones if memory serves well get your self a set of original Pioneer ones and it should come out with ease.

Had to do this a while back (CD player though), it was a nightmare with brand new Pioneer keys but they did finally push in & click. If anyone's tried with something other than those keys in the past, the metal cage latches easily get wrecked & the keys don't mate properly anymore; probably the problem. Just a quick suggestion though... if it's an old tape unit, is it worth the bother or might it be an idea to smash it open? Fun too.

Had to do this a while back (CD player though), it was a nightmare with brand new Pioneer keys but they did finally push in & click. If anyone's tried with something other than those keys in the past, the metal cage latches easily get wrecked & the keys don't mate properly anymore; probably the problem. Just a quick suggestion though... if it's an old tape unit, is it worth the bother or might it be an idea to smash it open? Fun too.

Haha nah honestly wrecking it would be an option, but I can't even see how I would do that(in a way that the sled would come with it anyway). As for the key thing, that video didn't demonstrate it well, but it feels like the radio is actually bolted in somewhere. You can pull on it pretty hard and it won't budge an inch, it's just there I pull too hard too quick so the keys came out instantly. The keys feel solidly in place, its just the radio wont shift past a certain point. Now maybe I do have knackered keys or whatever, or the latches on the actual radio have now been ruined by my repeated (and increasingly angryier :lol: ) attempts to get it out, but i hope not.

Haha nah honestly wrecking it would be an option, but I can't even see how I would do that(in a way that the sled would come with it anyway). As for the key thing, that video didn't demonstrate it well, but it feels like the radio is actually bolted in somewhere. You can pull on it pretty hard and it won't budge an inch, it's just there I pull too hard too quick so the keys came out instantly. The keys feel solidly in place, its just the radio wont shift past a certain point. Now maybe I do have knackered keys or whatever, or the latches on the actual radio have now been ruined by my repeated (and increasingly angryier :lol: ) attempts to get it out, but i hope not.

Archived