Have to replace right hand side outside mirror

HEllo people, bad news; some stupid person thought it would be fun to smash my outside mirror on the right hand side of my Civic MB3. Trouble is, I never replaced such a mirror myself. Seems like they tried to knock off the mirror completely, but thanks to the strong materials Honda uses, they only managed to break the folding mechanism of he mirror. The ajdustment of the glass istsself works fine (electricly powered so thankk the Lord that it still functions), but the normal resistance when you fold the mirror inwards is broken. Does anyone have any idea how to replace the outside mirror? Already ordered a new outside mirror housing, and hopefully that is it, or if I am in real trouble, the problem is underneeth it.

Any way, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very thankfull. It is a Honda Civic 5 door 1.5i Vtec from 2000, last type before the all new Civic from 2001, which means that the outside mirror folds in by hand in comparison to the older builid years which have a sprin in the mirror to push it out again when it is forced in.

Thanks in advance chaps.

HEllo people, bad news; some stupid person thought it would be fun to smash my outside mirror on the right hand side of my Civic MB3. Trouble is, I never replaced such a mirror myself. Seems like they tried to knock off the mirror completely, but thanks to the strong materials Honda uses, they only managed to break the folding mechanism of he mirror. The ajdustment of the glass istsself works fine (electricly powered so thankk the Lord that it still functions), but the normal resistance when you fold the mirror inwards is broken. Does anyone have any idea how to replace the outside mirror? Already ordered a new outside mirror housing, and hopefully that is it, or if I am in real trouble, the problem is underneeth it.

Any way, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very thankfull. It is a Honda Civic 5 door 1.5i Vtec from 2000, last type before the all new Civic from 2001, which means that the outside mirror folds in by hand in comparison to the older builid years which have a sprin in the mirror to push it out again when it is forced in.

Thanks in advance chaps.

Replacing the entire wing mirror is reasonably straight forward (remove door trim and the small triangle trim or tweeter trim if you have them and remove the three screws and unclip the wiring connenctor).

Looking at these photos I did for replacing the glass it looks as if the resistance on the hinge is created by a wire spring, this is probably what you have broken or dislodged.

101_1012.jpg

From this angle it looks as if you can seperate the two halves by undoing the three screws underneath the pivot, thereby keeping the original boss section?

101_1007.jpg

There should be some 'how to' s on removing the door trim on here somewhere.

Replacing the entire wing mirror is reasonably straight forward (remove door trim and the small triangle trim or tweeter trim if you have them and remove the three screws and unclip the wiring connenctor).

Looking at these photos I did for replacing the glass it looks as if the resistance on the hinge is created by a wire spring, this is probably what you have broken or dislodged.

101_1012.jpg

From this angle it looks as if you can seperate the two halves by undoing the three screws underneath the pivot, thereby keeping the original boss section?

101_1007.jpg

There should be some 'how to' s on removing the door trim on here somewhere.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply my friend. I will have a look at work tomorrow in the Honda dealership in the work shop to try and unhook the mirror quickly and replace it. Reading your comment however I get the feeling that I ordered the wrong parts of the mirror damn it. I ordered a brand spanking new mirror casing (two parts, the casing it self and the edge with the screw drills). Let's hope I can return 'em...

Thanks a lot for the quick reply my friend. I will have a look at work tomorrow in the Honda dealership in the work shop to try and unhook the mirror quickly and replace it. Reading your comment however I get the feeling that I ordered the wrong parts of the mirror damn it. I ordered a brand spanking new mirror casing (two parts, the casing it self and the edge with the screw drills). Let's hope I can return 'em...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for all your help people, I asked a mechanic at work politely if he could replace it and voila, within half an hours time it was done. A special thanks to my mechanic Christian, and the Honda Dealer Eismann in Mid Germany for supplying the mirror so quickly. You can close this topic for me please.