Cam/timing experts - please help!

edwardm

Right guys, bought a ported and polished head with a high lift cam for my VW polo a while back.

Had it fitted by a garage and it ran fine.

The stem seals went so i had the head off, had the seals done, re-fitted the head, timed it wrong, blew it up.

Then i bought a spare head, had it P/P'd, dropped the cam in and now i CANNOT time it up without pistons touching valves when i turn it over by hand. It just WILL NOT time up. I have tried manufacturers (Newman Cams) recommendations and tried 110 degrees before TDC on the exhaust valve and no luck. Tried original VW timing marks and they're obviously designed for a light cam, and no luck.

I was trying to squeeze every pony out of my 1.6 8 valve and have just converted it to running bike carbs. It'd be a real shame not to get the cam in there too - any suggestions?

1"£££$££"

Was the had skimmed , if all you have changed it the head as you damaged the origanal one then it must be that as it should still be able to time it up and turn it over on the standard time marks with a high lift cam , it will just not work at its best .

This is a video on how to get the timing spot on with an after market set of cams:

GJjxtAk_wBQ

Rich.

Yes you are right they only take a bit off , but you have had the head second hand it may have been done before and with the high lift cam the valves are hitting the pistons. Let me know what you think to the video . Rich.

I think i may have been timing it wrong looking at the graph, and members of the polo forum have informed me that the newmans cam in question is normally for a G40, which has different timing marks to my car.

I need to dial it in manually using 26 degrees before TDC on the inlet valve.

The video is good, funny how the yanks are telling us about overhead cam engines though... they're pushrod freaks :D

Archived