Bottom ball joint< anyone know how?

longdoggerVti-S

Right excuse me if this sounds a bit dumb.... but do you have to press out the stub axle

to be able to press the bottom balljoint?

the reason I ask is, I recently snapped a wheel stud and the other 3 had threaded so...

Removed th hub from the car then the studs and replaced with new ones from honda £7.14 each< Bit of randon price if you ask me, anyway I noticed the bottom ball joint is totally b****red so I asked for price from honda £55+vat so I left it and got one for £15inc vat from euro parts.

Right, so now it looks to me like i'm going to have to press out the bearing/stub axle in order to remove

and fit the ball joint, I must add the bearing is fine but i will still need a new one,correct??

Any body have a "how to" on this sh@T?

Any help much appreciated, I must fix this soon as I'm putting plastering tools in the boot of the

type R and tbh its KILLING me

cheers

longdogger

• 3 weeks later...

remove hub nut

split top and bottom ball joints

remove abs sensor and wire and cable tie to strut out the road

remove hub from car

turn hub upside down on a hard surface or clamp in a vice with the lower ball joint threads pointing upward

hit threaded bit of ball joint very hard with a decent hammer and it will come out after a few hits remembering which way it was fitted

remove rubber dust boot from new ball joint so as not damage it when fitting ball joint(if you dont you will tear it and be doing this agiain in 3 months time)

turn hub up other way and possition new ball joint in hole in hub after cleaning hub and hole

place socket over ball joint (on the flat section)

hit with hammer till it wont go any further

refit dust boot

refit hub to car and remember to squash the tab on the hubnut and refit splitpins to ball joints

sometimes they can be a ball ache to get to go in but you do NOT need a press to do them

ill copy and paste this and add pics soon as i need to do one on my vti-s for its mot

I have only just noticed you have replied to my thread.... cheers btw.

basically I removed the hub, changed the 4 studs and managed to do the bottom ball joint BUT I did cheat and use a vice. I think all the bashing about has done the bearing in, as It was fine before but with the wheel back on there Is far too much play for my liking.

So... It's parked up untill I find a full hub with good bearing to swap over :(

I'm itching to get back in it tbh

Archived