B16 gearboxes... would they work?

edwardm

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£175, went to pick it up, but no guarentee the box is even full of gears haha :D it could be filled with maltesers.

All jokes aside, it came from a non runner which is a gamble, but when is buying a second hand honda gearbox NOT a gamble?

I am guessing syncro wear, so could be looking at a few hundred quid to repair... we'll have to see.

One thing i do know, is that it selected gears fine before it came off, so it's not totally jaffed. Could even be mint, doubt it though, i'll have it pulled apart and checked...

...can anyone recommend any decent cheap g'box rebuilders?

Thanks

Same as my s9b then lol.

To be honest, if you guys reckon it is easy to have the boxes on and off, i'm not even going to bother having it inspected.

I'll put it on and if it's knackered i'll take it off and have it overhauled.

Someone wanted £120 to take it apart and check it over - criminal!

This one's definitely hyd.

The manual makes it look easy enough to change the boxes over. I take it i just take the hyd. pipe off the Y21 box (designed to run along chassis rail) and replace with original MB6 hyd. pipe (designed to run over the top of the box)?

Also, does the Y21 have the 'stiffeners' or whatever they call them in the manual ( the brackets that hold the engine/gearbox tight together)?

Cheers

Archived