Gearbox and Clutch

WilkesyMB6

Im looking to get an S80 gearbox. A friend of mine has one, but the problem is that it doesn't have the label on it saying S80, S9B etc. Also i didnt see it stamped on anywhere.

By looking it at is there anyway i can tell without being able to see that? I read somewhere that if you look through where the imput shaft goes, you can see all the way through it then it had LSD, and if there is a pin through the middle then it had a normal diff. Is this right?

Also if i get it im going to replace my clutch. What is the difference between getting a clutch on its own and a clutch kit? When i depress the clutch its getting harder and also makes a squeaking type noise at the end of the pedal when its near the bottom. What does this mean? is it just a noise, or do i need a release bearing? I dont think i do but wanted t ask.

If you buy just a clutch you'll get a new friction plate and pressure plate.If you get the clutch kit you'll get a new release bearing too.A noise that goes away when the clutch is depressed usually indicates a worn release bearing.Even if the bearing was ok you should still change it with the clutch because its sods law it'll go within 500 miles of doing the clutch change

Archived