Del Sol SiR engine into MA9 engine swap (B16A).

Drew555

Fixed it :-)

For them that are interested, here's a brief rundown of what we ended up doing.

The bits from the Del Sol we used:

Engine/gearbox/engine loom/driveshafts/hubs/brakes/MAP sensor/ECU/rear engine mount/underbonnet fusebox.

Mechanically, it all bolted together pretty simply - engine is mounted using a mix and match of the Sol and Civic mounts. Nothing overly taxing there, if you're relatively handy with a spanner. MAKE SURE YOU LOCATE THE DRIVESHAFTS CORRECTLY - THEY HAVE A LOCK RING ON THEM AND IT NEEDS TO LOCATE PROPERLY WITH A 'SNAP' OR IT WILL FALL OUT.

Electrically it was a little more taxing, but with a little bit of studious Googling we sussed out what we needed to do - and here's the short version. Plug and play? Very, very nearly.

The D15 has a inlet mounted MAP sensor - the B16 has a bulkhead mounted one - therefore the wires are all wrong. We used the sensor from the B16 in the end and the wiring from the D15 loom. We removed the entire correct connector and wires (with both ends - MAP sensor plug and Canon plug end) from the D15 loom and plugged the MAP sensor in one end and the slid the pins into the empty holes in the canon plug. We have cable tied it out of the way for now. DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS. We forgot, and it was crap.

It still wasn't running right and the Engine Management light was on, so we checked to see what error codes the ECU was throwing up. We got:

20 - Electrical Load Detector. To fix this, we need the fuse box from the Sol, and haven't had time to go get it yet.

22 - VTEC pressure valve. We know this as the VTEC solenoid. We followed a guide and ran a new wire from the solenoid to the ECU and POW! - the fault was gone.

7 - Throttle Position Sensor. We fixed this by plugging it in....

And now it roars like a mentalist.

All the wiring is kinda original. We only had to add a wire from the VTEC solenoid to the ECU and add the wiring for the MAP sensor. One Civic ECU plug needed a little 'fettling' to fit right in the Sol ECU (we clipped off a couple of the locating lugs so it would fit) but other than that we had to run a total of four wires (three for the MAP sensor and one for the VTEC solenoid).

The Engine Management light is still on - and I'll go and see what codes it's throwing when I've had a cup of tea. I assume (and hope) it's the Electrical Load Detector that will be fixed when we swap in the Sol fusebox.

Now I have an MA9 that revs off the clock and sounds like a big motorbike.

Happiness sounds like an F1 reject :-)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Checked up for ECU error codes, and yep - it's still throwing me the Error 20 - ELD. Not worried about that.

But it's also now throwing me an Error 23 - Knock Sensor and Error 1 - O2 sensor.

I assume the D15 didn't have a knock sensor, so we need to figure out where the wires need to be and add them.

Then onto the 02 sensor...

Thanks mate, yeah, we're getting there.

We're at the troubleshooting phase now (apart from the exhaust - which is a whole 'nother ball game :P ).

Now I'm asking for a little help - pointing the right way.

Was called into work last night (delivering yummy Indian foods), and it was a-ok when I left, if a little noisy. However after a while, it started trying to idle at anywhere between 2000 - 3500 rpm. Needless to say, this is unacceptable - for one the fuel economy is hideous.

We checked for ECU error codes and it threw up ONLY error 20 - the electrical load detector. Before it was throwing the knock sensor and 02 sensor as well, seems weird.

I'm sure it's electrical - it seems intermittent. Sometimes it idles lovely, other times it's a total pig. I'm hoping it is the ELD, because we have one of them, and just need to retrieve and fit it.

Any other ideas?

The management light only lights from time to time, and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. Had a 5 mile-ish trip this morning and it was faultless. VTEC engages, idling lovely.... I hate electrical gremlins :(

The symptoms are: intermittently ridiculous idle speed, smells 'fuely' and fuel consumption is crazy. Occasional management light on-ness.

I had a simillar problem with my EK, it had been stood for quite some time and when stationary, the revs would rise and fall between 1k-3k. I tried adjusting the idle control valve but had no luck. After a few weeks of constantly thrashing the car the idle issue soon went away?

I'm trying that approach now - caning the a*s out of it as regularly as possible :D

But it's using a shedload of fuel and the idle issue is still there, and it's throwing knock sensor and 02 sensor error codes.

Other than that, it's awesome.

Today's questions are...

Knock sensor. It appears to be wired straight into the engine loom, so I assume it goes straight to one of the canon plugs on the shock tower. It's in the car and a right PITA to see, so what colour/location are the knock sensor wires? I assume I have to run new wires from the canon plug to the ECU - which ones go where?

Much the same for the 02 sensor - I'm told that the plug on the exhaust manifold is 02 sensor '1' (pre-cat) and the one we've just rescued from the donor Del Sol is 02 sensor '2' (post-cat, and not present on the MA9). The one on the manifold appears to be wired in (it has 4 wires coming from it) but we can't figure out where to put the wires from the second one (on the Sol it went up through the car floor in line with the A-pillars, and has a braided metal shielded cable coming from it containg two wires terminating in a 2 pin plug).

Please help, I'm going stir crazy :(

Oooo... no.

Would that give these types of symptoms?

With further car use, I've found that a blip of the throttle brings the idle back down to the nice even 750 - 850rpm I'm looking for - but when you travel again it returns to 2000rpm+.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived