Gauge wiring Problem

Shaddow

Hi,

I have just finished fitting a Oil temp and Pressure gauges via a sandwich plate by the oil filter. I have wired everything up as per instruction.

For most of the cables coming from the gauges, I have joined the temp and pressure wires together, and then ran a single cable to where ever it was needed (Ignition, lights, battery, ground etc..) and only left the 2 wires seperate that needs to connect to the sensors.

After initial tests, the gauges started up fine, but the temp gauge did not give any readings. The pressure did, and seemed to work fine, going up when pressing accelerator.

I then tidies up the cables, ready to position guages. When I then started the car, both gauges again went through the normal startup procedure, but this time the pressure gauge would not work, instead the light was flashing.

Any advice what could be the problem? Iv checked the wiring to the sensors on the sandwich plate, and they are fine. I cant understand why only the pressure gauge is flashing, as I mentioned before, both gauges are connected together. So if one flickers, surely so sould the other one, unless the cable from the gauge has come lose.

Thanks for any help and info to get both the gauges working.

Hi,

I have just finished fitting a Oil temp and Pressure gauges via a sandwich plate by the oil filter. I have wired everything up as per instruction.

For most of the cables coming from the gauges, I have joined the temp and pressure wires together, and then ran a single cable to where ever it was needed (Ignition, lights, battery, ground etc..) and only left the 2 wires seperate that needs to connect to the sensors.

After initial tests, the gauges started up fine, but the temp gauge did not give any readings. The pressure did, and seemed to work fine, going up when pressing accelerator.

I then tidies up the cables, ready to position guages. When I then started the car, both gauges again went through the normal startup procedure, but this time the pressure gauge would not work, instead the light was flashing.

Any advice what could be the problem? Iv checked the wiring to the sensors on the sandwich plate, and they are fine. I cant understand why only the pressure gauge is flashing, as I mentioned before, both gauges are connected together. So if one flickers, surely so sould the other one, unless the cable from the gauge has come lose.

Thanks for any help and info to get both the gauges working.

I thought it might be easier to see a circuit diagram of exatly how I wired the gauges.

17725e87.jpg

To ensure I got the right connectors on the steering column and light circuit, I refered to the circuit Diagrams in the Haynes Manual for Honda Civic Mar 1995 to 2000 Petrol.

Ref 12.27 "Diagram 2"

- Starting And Charging

The ignition Switch is connected to the Black/Yellow wire going from [4] passenger fusebox to [2] Ignition Switch.

12.29 "Diagram 4"

- Headlights

Dimmer/lights are connected to Red/White wire going from [4] Passenger Fusebox to [30] Light Switch.

Batter +ve connected to White wire going from [30] Light Switch to [3] Engine Fusebox, leading to battery +ve.

Hope this information helps with finding my problem.

Thanks

I thought it might be easier to see a circuit diagram of exatly how I wired the gauges.

17725e87.jpg

To ensure I got the right connectors on the steering column and light circuit, I refered to the circuit Diagrams in the Haynes Manual for Honda Civic Mar 1995 to 2000 Petrol.

Ref 12.27 "Diagram 2"

- Starting And Charging

The ignition Switch is connected to the Black/Yellow wire going from [4] passenger fusebox to [2] Ignition Switch.

12.29 "Diagram 4"

- Headlights

Dimmer/lights are connected to Red/White wire going from [4] Passenger Fusebox to [30] Light Switch.

Batter +ve connected to White wire going from [30] Light Switch to [3] Engine Fusebox, leading to battery +ve.

Hope this information helps with finding my problem.

Thanks

The only thing i can see is the yellow wire to the light switch , did you have the lights on when you were testing the gauges .if not i would and see if that works . i would not have that 12v feed (yellow)and the dimmer at the same point i would put the yellow wire on to the 12 v ignition feed with the red wire at steering coluum .

Rich.

The only thing i can see is the yellow wire to the light switch , did you have the lights on when you were testing the gauges .if not i would and see if that works . i would not have that 12v feed (yellow)and the dimmer at the same point i would put the yellow wire on to the 12 v ignition feed with the red wire at steering coluum .

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the info. I was told earlier by Depo Racing Gauges to check the power (yellow) cable aswell. I checked the connection, and even ran a cable from the connector straight to the battery terminal but no joy. Think it might be a break in connection where I crimped the wire from the gauges to a single longer wire. Will check that tomorrow.

Will also change my connection for the wire, connecting it into my amp power cable which has a direct line to the battery. That should atleast mean no relays and fuses to interfere.

Would the power cable cause the gauges not to read, one to flicker, but both still to power up? (I am more mechanically minded and believe electrics works with magic!)

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the info. I was told earlier by Depo Racing Gauges to check the power (yellow) cable aswell. I checked the connection, and even ran a cable from the connector straight to the battery terminal but no joy. Think it might be a break in connection where I crimped the wire from the gauges to a single longer wire. Will check that tomorrow.

Will also change my connection for the wire, connecting it into my amp power cable which has a direct line to the battery. That should atleast mean no relays and fuses to interfere.

Would the power cable cause the gauges not to read, one to flicker, but both still to power up? (I am more mechanically minded and believe electrics works with magic!)

Archived