Can rear control arm bushes be replaced?

Guest thecapsaicinkid

Guest thecapsaicinkid

98' 5dr hatch 1.5 Vtec

I'm getting some irregular wear at the rear, garage reckons the rear arms (control arms? not the larger trailing arms) have excessive wear and the bushes cannot be replaced. Can the bushes alone be replaced?

Cheers

Yes, they can be replaced. The old ones need burning out & you need a press to get the new ones in. For the MC2/MB6 there are aftermarket bushings available that make this worthwhile, especially getting hard rubber / poly's, but for the 1.5 I don't think this is the case. You can probably get a complete arm for cheaper than the bushings from Honda & save a whole lot of work - bushings can be a long job.

Guest thecapsaicinkid

I think I'm going to take the car for a second opinion. I'm seeing inner edge wear on all 4 tyres, more so on the OSR, which has a wavy pattern of wear. The garage put a bar in at each bush at the rear and levered the bar and obviously there was movement, which they thought was excessive. When asked why the front was seeing the same wear, they said, oh, that will just be alignment.

Not convinced. I've just moved to an area with LOTS of square speed cushions which I take centre on, inside of each tyre hitting the curved edge. Tyres were new ish before I moved and are now trashed.

Really do not want to start replacing suspension bits for no reason. Garage reckons £100 per radius arm from a dealer, sounds steep.

Any advice welcome.

Yes, here begins the model code minefield - really not as daft a question as you might think. Your car is an MB3, but the M's seem pretty unknown to most aftermarket manufacturers. Most list parts via the older/US-market EK/EJ/EG variants, but these aren't always exactly the same as 'corresponding' M-models; in some ways they are, some not! Nightmare!

Might be worth emailing them with some measurements to check, but I'm pretty sure you'll be OK.

Archived