Camber Kits

Mebz

Hey up guys,

Whats ppls opinions on camber kits? Seem like it just puts extra forces on the suspension?

I got issues on my 1998 VTI-S, both rear tyres are heavly wearing on the insides, anyone had any similar experiences? I know (well think) civics dont have any adjustment on the rears so what could it be? I even heard worn bushes could be a cause?

Cars totally standard with original wheels and suspension.

Help, costing me a fortune, I have even commited the sin of buying part worns for the back.

The civic has toe adjustment on the back; it is very important that it is aligned using a 4 wheel laser rig. If it's had normal alignment done it will be b****red.

This is probably the cause of the wear. The trailing arm (compliance) bushes are particually prone to wearing out, take a look at these. There are many aftermarket versions by Spoon, Megan, Energy etc. Pattern ones are pretty cheap also.

If you are lowered by more than about 40 mm it's worth looking at camber adjusters, Buddy club or Eibach being the pick of what's out there. Buddy club will set you back in the region of £150 front and £50 rear

I wouldn't spend money on a camber kit if I were you. With stock suspension & wheels you would just be compensating for the result and not fixing the cause.

I'd first have your car properly aligned (if that has not been done for a long time) and if that doesn't work I'd have all the bushes & suspension checked. Alignment issues can be caused by hitting a kerb, changing tyres etc. so it might not be anything serious.

In reaction to hicksters comments I have read a lot of people who say that camber kits aren't meant to compensate for the excess camber caused by lowering but were in principle created to increase the camber for racing purposes and that (with normal lowering) you should be able to adjust the camber by alignment. It would be my last resort if I've tried everything else.

Yeah, I agree with Flunky. Just to make clear- camber adjustment is not designed to sort out suspension problems but to increase camber for cornering grip. Fairly pointless on stock suspension and if your lowered a lot rear LCAs will help correct camber better.

I would estimate your issue is 80% likely to be the rear wheels kerbed out of toe, 19% worn out trailing bushes, 1% worn upper control bushes. Or something like that.

Archived