HID Kit - Give your opinions!

vti_aerodeck

damn one of my hid lights stopped working today...out of nowhere....I haven't noticed any degradation of performance or color change, so hopefully it is just a bad contact somewhere (tried to check the contacts today but had no luck and still doesn't work)....if it would be the hid light bulb itself would I notice some degreadation or color change before it would die?...maybe it is the ballast or the relay...need to test it out when the weather is a bit better since it's really cold outside now....when I touched the ballasts and the contacts on them it seemed to me that the ballast on the left light that is not working is cold and the right one on the one working is tiny bit warmer, but could be also just becasue of the engine position, not sure since the difference was hardly there, but the one not working seemed a tiny bit colder. Any ideas? I will test both bulbs on both ballast to see what could have gone wrong...also changing the ballast connection to the relay might give me an insight if the problem is caused by the relay. Regettably I bought the set in december 2007 so it went off a month after warranty ;o[[

this is exactly what happend to mine, i got replacement bulbs for the hid kits too just check on ebay theres plenty about.

as for the bulb blowing can you hear the ballast igniting as they make a sort of whining sound aslo the bulb flicking between full and dipped beam would suggest that you still do have connection to the right headlamp, is your a single loom wiring kit from left to right? if it is and the right hid is working that would suggest there is still a complete curcuit.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you mean by single loom wiring that the relay is operated by only one headlight cable then yes I do have single loom wiring kit. Basically one of the two cable connectors that were in the original headlamps is connected to the relay, and from the relay it is splitted into 2 ballasts (and to bulbs from there).

I checked ebay and there are regettably no H4-3 replacement bulbs for 5000K since it is not that common color (most just have 4300k and 6000k). I will have to check the sellers and ask if some of them also has the 5000K bulbs even when not advertising them.

The local shop where I bought the kit offers the replacement bulbs as well and in 5000K but they are expensive at 33gbp for one. They sell the whole kit for exactly twice the price as the replacement bulb. So two replacement bulbs are the same price as the whole kit. Czech sellers policy sux.

You can get a set of two h4-3 bulbs for 33gbp from ebay including shipping. I am really lazy to do the testing what went wrong as it's quite cold outside and I have no garage. Maybe I'll just try removing one of the bulbs and swap it in the other ballast in the existing loop. If it won't make me any wiser I will have to do more testing and I don't have time for that now since I should spend my time on studying as my final university exam is less than 4 weeks away and I haven't started yet ;o]

Hope I won't get a fine in the meantime.

Thx anyway for the tips I will try it when I meet with some friend since I cannot operate the lights and listen to it at the same time alone.

btw anyone tried the angel eyes type projector with lenses?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROJECTO ... ccessories

since I probably need to get a new bulbs I am considering these...the installation is of course much harder since you need to disassemble the headlight, but at least I could de tango my headlight and make them clear while installing these. Also it will require more work to get the car ready for MOT since you cannot just remove the bulb from outside and you have to disassemble the headlight again. Think I would make a fresh mot before installing them so I don't have to hassle with them for another 2 years while my MOT is valid.

• 2 months later...

Archived