water pump failure? Help

ClarkeyVTI

Recently my car got a bit warmer than usual, I checked and the Rad bottle was empty. I topped it up with water for the time being, I've just drained the rad and put some new coolant in let the engine run but the water doesn't seem to be circulating as the top rad pipe gets hot near to the engine but is cold at the rad. The lower pipe is also cold. Can anyone help. Its going in for a cam belt change soon 60k and didn't think the water pumps failed with so little mileage??

I could have I suppose I just took it out for a drive and the temp is going about 3/4 then dropping but the fan isn't kicking in so could be. How would I get rid of an air lock?

Ok ran the car with the rad cap off and the heater on full blast, it took another litre of water in and has sorted it thanks for your help. :) Always tend to think the worst I've not had the best luck with cars, touchwood tho my VTI has been faultless for 2 years :)