Braking problem in need of some major assistance!

JasonV

hi guys 

had my civic go for its MOT last saturday and it failed on reserve brake pedal movement

in other words the brake pedal goes straight to the floor when i push on it 

now i've bled the system in the correct order 

RR FL RL FR with the engine off

the pedal is solid as it should be when the engine is off

i have also changed the master cylinder and the servo to try and eliminate to see if that was the issue but still goes down to the floor when the engine is running 

i have checked for leaks all along the system and cannot find a single leak anywhere

any ideas guys because its got its retest this friday and i really want to get her back on the road !

Firstly - where did you get that bleed order?  Assuming your car is right hand drive it should be RL RR FL FR.  You always bleed with the engine off so that's right, and shut the bleed valve off with the pedal down - were you doing that?

Did it have this same exact fault with the old master cylinder and servo?  What you have described is 1 fault and 3 possible causes you've addressed (brake fluid, servo and master cylinder) so how were you sure which one was the issue?  I've had a similar problem on several cars and 95% of the time it's the fluid.  The other 5% was brake flexi's which you'll need someone to push hard on the brake pedal and go hunting carefully around all the lines for splits and bulges.  I doubt this is the issue if it's only doing it with the engine on as the servo is an "assistance device" and only adds a modest amount of pressure - I don't even run a servo in my car!! 

If the pedal is hard after each part of the system is bled I would say you did it right but worth re-checking, then the brake flexi's.    If that's not the issue I'd start the car with the vacuum to the servo disconnected and see what happens.  It is really a process of elimination!

Not sure if that helps, but give it a try.

Dave

HI Dave,

Thankyou for the advice i found the order in my haynes manual

it is indeed right hand drive 

what is the pedal suppose to feel like when the engine is running is it suppose to have a small amount of play and it be rock solid or is it suppose to press down a fair amount and then be solid ?

Hi,

The order for bleeding the fluid is to start with the wheel furthest from the master cylinder and work your way forward.  Can't think a car that's different on all the cars I've ever done  :wink: but I love the old Haynes manuals - refitment is the reverse of disassembly!!!

On my car, when I had the servo, the pedal would be solid with the engine off, took a lot of effort to get any travel at all.  With engine running, the pedal was very firm but I could push hard enough to get the pedal to go down an around an inch but very very very slowly.  I can only guess that fluid can still get around the seal in the master cylinder given enough effort so as nothing else in the system breaks and leaks.

Not sure what else to suggest?