Grey/brown sludge under radiator cap

jonnygt

Noticed the other day after a long drive my temp starting rising a little as i was in traffic, then wrnt back down a bit after i drove again. When my car cooled down i checked radiator and was low on water and had grey sludge looking stuff under the cap. I topped it up with water as i was about 1.5hours from home :( hasnt done it since and that was on friday, temp gauge has been fine and hasnt moved.

Theres no sludge stuff under oil cap or on dipstick, but could it still be the dredded head gasket problem? Or maybe something not as bad ?

Im gunna get it looked at, at the weekend

Any help appreciated, thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive only had it a couple of weeks. And only used water as i wasnt at home so just nipped in the shop for a 2ltr bottle to top it up. Im gunna flush it all out at the weekend and buy some coolant. You think that will be better?

Leave it running stood still and see if all the radiator gets hot if not maybe radiator blocked which means a new one have seen this quite often and even happened to me

Thanks! Will try that aswell, im sure we'll sort it out😉

Thanks for help lads