common faults??

spudley1988

Hey folks is their any known faults along the lines of maybe steering rack? Reason I ask is when knead driving at speed on a private road the car felt really light as if I had no control, it felt like the night my balljoint snapped at 60 having the same sense of not being in control. Is this normal for these to go really light at high speed?

Also when say slowing down at a roundabout and revs are low, when I accelerate to pick back up, at the point of accelerating their is a knock as if something's loose. Unsure if this is normal with the change from slowing down to sudden picking back up?

Any help be appreciated guys many thanks

Yes, if you've checked the inner & outer rod joints & they're fine, that does sound like a worn rack. Replace with an earlier integra rack which is adjustable to take up slop, or a MGZS rack is apparently faster.  There's a few people on this forum recently who've had the same; check through some of the posts.

Would they have been checked for mot or would I be best asked the lad to have a look at them? Would the worn rack be the movement I could feel when moving off from low revs also or could this be other problems lol.

Yea I have heard the zs racks meant to be quicker and lighter, could imagine they would be like hens teeth to find.

They can get fairly noticeable before they would fail an mot. Moving off sloppiness could be engine mounts; check the lowers as there's not much meat to them.

I always thought the mk2 MGZS racks were the only quicker ones, but there's been recent comments that it's actually that they were not always fitted at the factory due to a lack of stock, or something!  There's a fair few out there & pretty cheap too.

Thats great mate i'll ask my mate to check the mounts then take it from their. I also get vibrations down low revs so this could maybe or hopefully be mounts as changed shafts, wheels no long balanced and got spigot rings made up. Hopefully its all linked to the one issue lol