No red key

Idemann

My MB6 has no red key and different keys for the doors and ignition. I would like to get to car back to as close to original as possible and am probably going to see a breaking car at the weekend.

Am I correct in saying that to get it all back on the same key from a doner car I will need to swap the barrels, ignition lock and the ecu? Is there anything else I will need?

You dont need the ECU but if you dont get it, you will need it all coded to your existing ECU by Honda. You will need the immobilizer control unit too...its a black box with white stickers on it, and its screwed to the inside of the plastic cover that sits below your steering column. Thinks thats it.. ;)

Oh yeah, if you take the ignition barrel off, you will need new bolts to re-fit it, as they are anti theft bolts. Honda should sell them still iirc.

Thanks Adam.

Good heads up on the bolts, I can see me driving around with the barrel hanging from the wires while I waited for parts :D

Or would I be stuck? Does the barrel need to be in place to operate the steering lock? :?

• 8 months later...

I there mate

If you dont have the red key you will need a new imo control unit with a new red key and a black key to be reshaped to the existing key's of the car, i think it cost almos 300€ in your honda dealer.

it need's to be programed and i think your ecu can accept up to 5 key's.

bruno ;)

Archived