High emissions!

Rookie88

Just took my car for the first m.o.t since I bought it a year ago, the bloke I bought it off gave me the cat with the car as it had a decat on the car, he had never fitted the cat as he knew the m.o.ter, I thought id better fit it this m.o.t I know the m.o.ter but don't want to get any one in the sh*t, it faild on emissions to high, pass on natural idle but faild on fast idle with CO at 0.480 n limit 0.300 and second fast idle being 0.659 n limit agen being 0.300 the m.o.ter said it's the cat but I don't want to spend hundreds on a cat and it's not that! The car is fair low mileage at only 84000 and has f/s/h the last being only 2k ago, has any one eles had this problem and if so was it the cat or something eles? Cheers

Haha i had this from my cat being sat around so my mot guy said god take it for a rag n get the cat hot lol needless to say i gave it a track day style thrashing n she passed no probs. Cats hate sittin around

So what did you do in the end Tom to pass the emissions? I asked my m.o.t guy if i give it a good hard drash would it clear and he said no jay :/ I remmber my old 106 xsi I had that faild on emissions and all i done was thrash the living daylights out of it then it passed, I'm confussed lol

Hmmm it sound like the same senario as mine n that defo cured n my m8 whos runs his own garage agrees with me if a cat has been off the car a while it will under perform the older it gets. how old is the cat that you got mine was a 5yr old cat plus hows your lambda if its cruddy it could be making the car run rich. Worth a try .

I think it's the original cat mate pretty sure, I work in a tyre/exhaust place n over the years iv learned the difference betweet oem n aftermarket n fairly sure it's oem, n yeh not really looked at the lamba tbh might be the next port of call lol

• 4 months later...

My Civic has the engine light on due to 'cat efficiency' (P0402 I think ) but I drove it to the MoT in second gear to make sure revs were high and engine hot and it was well within emission limits. I checked both lambda's on a scanner and they track each other showing the cat aint doing much; strange!

Well a pass is a pass so just living with the check light on.