Brakes....poor performance, lots of pedal travel

Shaddow

Question

Hi,

As per the title, my mb6 brakes have been quite bad recently. Noticed it most after spending a week driving a different car and then got back in the civic to notice my brake pedal goes almost all the way down before I feel the brakes taking effect. 

I have evenly bled the system (twice) so confident there are no air bubbles in the system. 

Also no brake fluid loss, so fairly sure it's not leaking anywhere.

thinking either the servo or master cylinder?

having had a look around, I can't seem to find replacement parts anywhere? Are they all the same for all engine variants? eBay currently has an assembly from a 1.4, just not sure if that's the same as what was fitted to the vti-s (1.8). 

Obv do do not want to spend loads on sparkly new parts, so good second hand will do, or even rebuild kits if they are available. Just not found anywhere that has either available.

anyone confirm my susp**sion on either the servo / master cylinder and also recommend places to buy new bits from?

thanks

2 answers to this question

You could pump the pedal with engine off and once you have solid pedal, keep the pedal pressed and start the car.

The pedal should only travel so far and then stop.

Iv been experiencing the same sort of pedal travel, but on the second pedal push it is a lot more positive/firm. Invest in a brake stopper. This makes a difference/positive feel on every strike of the pedal..Then fit a pipe n to the bleed nipple and raise it to the highest point ie above the master cylinder around the top of the rear door height and then bleed.... It's a little awkward but it's a 2 person operation. Then bleed... That way as physics says air rises  to the highest point! Catch the fluid or create some kind of collector/lucozade bottle for the used fluid to avoid spillage on the paint work.... The traditional method relies on bleeding at the caliper nipple and by pedal stokes however this is not the highest point for air to naturally rise and leaves the possibility of air still trapped in/behind the caliper piston.... :D