Central locking remote control issues

FlunkyVTEC

Ever since I've had my car the central locking remote control seems to randomly decide whether it's going to work or not (regardless of whether you use it at the same angle/point etc.). I've had the batteries changed in January and that seemed to make things slightly better for a short while but now it's back to the usual story. Sometimes I have to press the remote 20 times without any luck, even at point blank next to the driver window and aiming at the infrared 'bulge' near the rearview mirror.

I realize that the infrared type remote controls aren't ideal range-wise but surely it couldn't have been this bad/sensitive when they rolled out the factory.

Has anyone else got/had this problem and found a solution or is the only good solution getting an aftermarket remote control system such as this? I can live with it not having a lot of range but I at least want it to work the first time I hit the button.

p.s. the link is a google translation of a Dutch website so it will have some strange words.

yer they are pants i have the same prob so just bined the remote and use key until i get an alarm :D think that is the best way get an alarm thats what i would do

Last summer I found out mine has an alarm (probably from factory but no fancy clifford type system or anything). I quickly had to go to the ATM and locked my car with the windows open. A friend of mine unlocked the car from the inside through the inside and suddenly an alarm went off...quite bad to find that out after just 1,5 years of possession :oops: .

I'm always worried I accidentally misplace the key in the dark so not too fond of using it but like you say, the original system is (CENSORED) awful.

Archived