HELP.... brake bleed nipples

skippy

Question

hi all, was all ready to bleed my brakes and got stopped before I got started. both rear nipples are like they are welded in, and I have totally rounded 1 off. I would like to know what thread size are the nipples (might as well change all 4), and where can I get some please. better to have spares before I snap them. thanks.

2 answers to this question

15 hours ago, skippy said:

hi all, was all ready to bleed my brakes and got stopped before I got started. both rear nipples are like they are welded in, and I have totally rounded 1 off. I would like to know what thread size are the nipples (might as well change all 4), and where can I get some please. better to have spares before I snap them. thanks.

Demon tweeks have Goodyear and other brands in stock but you might be able to GOTO motor factors closer to get them.

Think they're either M8x1.25 or M10 I can't remember.. Been years! Easiest way to crack them off would be get a cheap socket or two smaller and hammer it over, need to use freeze spray and a wire brush to clean up the area.

The science

the issue is the nipples are steel and the calipers may be Aluminium or Iron and the radial ions in the calipers chemical makeup pass electrons to the steel and cause a chemical bond between the two so basically if you use freeze spray the steel will shrink a few microns allowing the bonds to break and you can crack the but with either an old socket you don't need or maybe a spanner!

• Like 1