Hum after CV boot replace

Roveruk

Hello all, new to this site - I had to swap from a Rover one after the head gasket went (again)! Bought a Honda....

Anyway even Hondas have their problems so I removed my passenger side driveshaft at the weekend to replace the CV boot. Bought the Honda one despite the £35 it cost. Strangely it came with two grease sachets and said if replacing the same CV joint I should use both - which I did. Thought I'd done a good job, driveshaft properly seated in the tranny ect, unfortunately there is now a hum when I drive at 70mph. No other symptoms as far as I can tell and the hum is not loud.

any Ideas what I should check?

thanks

Rob

Hmmm, I can't be sure it is the driveshaft. I didn't do much with the brakes, just slipped them off the disk. To be honest even in the car it's pretty difficult to diagnose, might ask the gf if she minds clinging to the bottom of the car while I hurtle down the motorway!

OK had a good look under the car. Everything looks OK, all seated, no gear oil. Wheel bearing has no play as far as I can tell. I did notice that the driveshaft has a slight bend in it though - prob +/- 0.5mm or so. I'm guessing this could cause a hum?

Also when I twist it back and forth I can hear the diff clank/clunk - is this normal?

Hoping I'm not gonna have to take it all apart again!

Rob

Archived