Head gasket

syder

I think the head gasket has gone on my B18C4 , the other day the aerodeck started over heating , found the fan was not cutting in so i wired the air-con connector to the cooling fan on the rad after checking all the related fuses and relays and water level , switched the A/C on to cool the rad until I got back home . .

The next day i checked out civic5 forum and seen some info about the fan sensor , i also thought about the thermostat's , i then went out flushed the pipes and rad , the pipes where a bit bitty , got the rad on it's normal connection and the fan still didn't cut in but the temp stayed normal , reved the engine to max of 4000 then white smoke and a little water came out of the exhaust , there was a slight buzz sound from the engine faint but not there before , have'nt touched it yet 2 days .

The engine has done 153045 miles ,

how much does it cost to fix if it is the case . :?

cheers

Hi there, I wouldn't worry about water out of the exhaust, it's burnt hydrogen. You need to look out for either water in the oil or oil in the water. Either will look like a mayonnaise type goop. If you find any then the gasket's on it's way out.

On Rovers it's about £400

Rob

Ps if you need expert advice on it go to any Rover forum - it's the reason they went bust if you ask me!

Change the temp switch, I paid £15 for mine, also check the fuse under the bonnet, it should be 15A, I changed mine to a 20A cos it kept blowing, also the relay can go, you can swap it with the blower one to check its working ok. If the fan isn't working the car will overheat, and is probably whats causing the steam.

On mine the rad was emptying into the expansion bottle and not going back, I put K-Seal in mine as I ony paid £300 for the car, some people dont recommend using it but I have and it seems ok so far (touch wood!!)

Check what I've suggested, no doubt someone else will chip in with more advice, good luck, if it is the head it can be quite expensive to repair - £300 upwards. depends if the car is worth it or not really

Hi there, I wouldn't worry about water out of the exhaust, it's burnt hydrogen. You need to look out for either water in the oil or oil in the water. Either will look like a mayonnaise type goop. If you find any then the gasket's on it's way out.

On Rovers it's about £400

Rob

Ps if you need expert advice on it go to any Rover forum - it's the reason they went bust if you ask me!

Its not a rover engine , so why are compairing it to one ?

if the engine is over heating and blowing water out of the expansion bottle on hard throttle its the head gasket and with that sort of mileage on the engine she has done well, i would just get a replacement second hand engine . Rich.

Its not a rover engine , so why are compairing it to one ?

True, not a rover engine, just thought the costs would be similar. Also the forums have lots of how to's/photos etc on diagnostics.

if the engine is over heating and blowing water out of the expansion bottle on hard throttle its the head gasket and with that sort of mileage on the engine she has done well, i would just get a replacement second hand engine . Rich.

Missed that one, another sure sign of HGF!

Archived