Has anyone tried trailing arm bush extractor ?

Guest D15Z8

Guest D15Z8

Wondering if you guys have tried

Honda/Acura Bushing X-Tractor - Removal and Installation ToolSP-65100.jpg.

It says that this tool can extract the trailing arm bushes without taking the suspension parts apart . well ! i got a quote of £80 to have trailing arm bushes replaced. So might as well consider getting one of these . What u say fellas ??? :?::idea::idea:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-6365-schley-products-65100.aspx

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1456600

That looks like a handy bit of kit mate, nice find!! The manual tells us to totally dis-mantle the trailing arm, and press them out and back in, however, for many years at Honda, and while doing my apprentiship at Rover, we have always used a hammer to take them out, and then press them in, or tap them in with a copper mallet. Sounds barbaric, but if you hit them in the right place, and use a copper hammer, (copper is softer so doesnt damage the metal of the compliance bush) then you should be fine. The problem is, you can mark the black paint by hitting them, so this tool looks like a great idea!! :D

i just to work for rover and used to do the rear trailing arm bushes on a weekly bases. we just to undo the front end of the trailing arm ,hold it down with a piece of wood off the sill ,belt it out with the hammer and put the new ones in the same ,saves taking the arm of the car . used to get a hour used to do them in 15 mins ,a nice bonus job.

Guest D15Z8

Well ! when i spoke to my garage man about having them repalced he told me "Its a good 2 hours work " :shock:

Hmm ! You guys make it sound easy .. Wonder if you can be bothered to put in HOW TO on that mate .. I got advisory note on my MOT for the damn bushes ... lol

Um... well i will, but to do it properly it would be better with photos. I need to do mine so when I do them I will take some pics and do a proper "How To"!!! If you can wait that is......!!!! :D

Is it right that if you remove the front of the trailing arm you need to get the rear wheels re tracked?

Had a set of bushes sat around for ages waiting to fit, looks easy to get the old ones out, lining up the new puts me of trying it.

Most uprated polybush kits re use the metal parts from the old bush so would it be possible to drill out the old rubber without removing the bush clean it up, g clamp in the new polybushes re fit the spindle and away you go without bashing out any part of the suspension?

Yeah, it would be best to get the vehicle 4 wheel aligned after changing them mate! As for lining the new ones up, you could mark the top and bottom of the arm with paint where the top and bottom of the bushes are, before you remove them. Then you would know where to line up the new ones!! As for the aftermarket ones, not sure mate, can anyone else help with that?? ;)

Archived