stock intake manifold Q?

G Unit

right now heres a Q for you all......

we all know the stock intake manifold is poor when it comes to performance as it was designed with economy in mind

right theres is a guy round my way with a MB^ also and he has a few bolt on mods exhuast , decat , intake and exhaust manifold ect... however he said the key part was he modded the stock intake manifold by opening it up and removed the butterly's (thats sap all the vtec power lol) then closed it up again....

can this be done?

does the car run ok afterwards?

is there a power increase?

whats involved in doing this?

HELP

The early VTEC engagment point and those butterflys opening up are there to give a smoother torque curve, and better torque lower down. You can disconnect the VAC pipe for the butterfly engagement and see how the car drives. With the inlet manifold removed the rear chamber comes off, so you can probly remove the butterflys completely.

You can achieve the same effect by fitting a Skunk2 intake manifold. as with both these mods the vtec will be too early so it will have to be changed.

The engine managment , head and the cams are set up to run the 2 stage manifold if you replace the manifold or mess with the butterflys you will have to get it mapped.

You could use a integra head with a skunk 2 as that is designed as a single stage,again remap needed.

But anyone i know that has fitted a skunk 2 on to a b18c4 head ,myself included has had a flat spot around 4500 - 5000 rpm that you can not map out, so i end up putting the standard manifold back on and it mapped up spot on. if i can get 447bhp out of a standard manifold i dont see the point in changing it. Rich.

The engine managment , head and the cams are set up to run the 2 stage manifold if you replace the manifold or mess with the butterflys you will have to get it mapped.

You could use a integra head with a skunk 2 as that is designed as a single stage,again remap needed.

But anyone i know that has fitted a skunk 2 on to a b18c4 head ,myself included has had a flat spot around 4500 - 5000 rpm that you can not map out, so i end up putting the standard manifold back on and it mapped up spot on. if i can get 447bhp out of a standard manifold i dont see the point in changing it. Rich.

Are you still running the standard manifold? Wouldnt it be better to run a single stage inlet manifold?

Are you still running the standard manifold? Wouldnt it be better to run a single stage inlet manifold?

Yes im still running the standard manifold and the standard b18c4 head no mods at all, if something works why change it . i put a skunk 2 on it and i lost power and i had a massive flat spot.so i changed it back.

Skunk 2 on

11072008490.jpg

standard manifold back on

civicenginebay001.jpg

No advantage of switching to the Skunk2 IM at all?

I've got an RTP Neptune and modified OBD1 ECU and was considering the Skunk2 IM, the car hardly has any torque as it is so I don't think I could cope with a loss.

My old 535i made ~200rwhp/200rwt with just a chip and AFM > Maf swap :mrgreen: I don't think its gonna be so easy with this new car.......

With a good s/s exhaust manifold 4 into1 and a de-cat ,with a performance mid section and back box , and induction kit you will make 190 bhp (no map needed)

and just to prove it is a car i did the mods above to on it dyno test.

Archived