Uprated Camshafts on my MB3 (D15Z8)

harVTEC

Hi all,

I am looking to do some stealth mods on my Civic for when I start driving, my Dad mentioned cams, but obviously I need a bit more help :| . I have searched but couldn't find anyone who's done this to an MB3.

So any help really would be appreciated, what cams, ITR, Skunk2...? I really have no idea. And what else will need uprating.

Thank you in advance for any help or info. :mrgreen:

harVTEC

it be only one cam ,and i do not think there is a performance cam for the d15z8 engine its and eco vtec and it may not be worth the cash for what you will drag out of if , i would work on the handleing and go air filter ect all that said someone may no of a cam set up that would work :D:D

it be only one cam ,and i do not think there is a performance cam for the d15z8 engine its and eco vtec and it may not be worth the cash for what you will drag out of if , i would work on the handleing and go air filter ect all that said someone may no of a cam set up that would work :D:D

Okay thanks for the info, yeah handling is top of the list, but I can't really put any other mods on, due to insurance, because I would have to declare it. But I was wondering whether to put the VTI suspension on it, if not just prgressive springs, with anti roll bars.

What do you reckon?

Cheers

harVTEC

Changing cams for instant power worked well with older cars which ran on carbs , now days even if you were to fit a high lift cam (if you can even get one ) would make little or no differance with out remapping the ecu . If i was in your shoes and i wanted more power but could not show any mods remapping the ecu is the way i would go and as dave said work on the handling . Rich.

Changing cams for instant power worked well with older cars which ran on carbs , now days even if you were to fit a high lift cam (if you can even get one ) would make little or no differance with out remapping the ecu . If i was in your shoes and i wanted more power but could not show any mods remapping the ecu is the way i would go and as dave said work on the handling . Rich.

Hi, Thanks, yeah I must have forgot to mention I would get a re-map if I did change the Cams, so would this be a worthwhile mod in your opinion?

This is either going to sound like a fair question, or one an idiot would make :? but could you fit a different camshaft, and change certain sensors / ECU to get the VTEC from something like an MB6 or DC2 or something?

This probably sounds like such a stupid question doesn't it? :lol:

Thanks for all your help.

harVTEC

Question are good mate thats how we learn , and no one on here will knock you for asking ,

You cannot use cams from a mb6 for other as what you have is a single cam and they are twin cams , just to cut a long story short they will not fit in your head , you will need a cam made to fit into your head , as for mapping you will need a p28 or pr4 or a p72 ecu and have chrome management or something like it fitted and then have it mapped on the dyno . if you can get cams i would say by the time you have got them fitted and had an ecu fitted and mapped you will be looking at £1000 . And for that sort of money i would be going for a b18 conversion .

Just to give you an idea im not saying these cams will fit your engine :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-200 ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comp-Cam ... ccessories

The cams are saying around 12 horse power gain and with a map you may make around 25 hp in my eyes its not worth the money . Rich.

Question are good mate thats how we learn , and no one on here will knock you for asking ,

You cannot use cams from a mb6 for other as what you have is a single cam and they are twin cams , just to cut a long story short they will not fit in your head , you will need a cam made to fit into your head , as for mapping you will need a p28 or pr4 or a p72 ecu and have chrome management or something like it fitted and then have it mapped on the dyno . if you can get cams i would say by the time you have got them fitted and had an ecu fitted and mapped you will be looking at £1000 . And for that sort of money i would be going for a b18 conversion .

Just to give you an idea im not saying these cams will fit your engine :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-200 ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comp-Cam ... ccessories

The cams are saying around 12 horse power gain and with a map you may make around 25 hp in my eyes its not worth the money . Rich.

Okay thanks for the kind help mate, I think I'll be giving this one a miss then. As I'd obviously have to get a cam shaft, gears, have them fitted, ECU and re-map for very little gains.

I will work on getting the handling as best as possible.

Thanks again mate, it really is appreciated.

harVTEC ;)

Archived