Engine temp and fuel consumption.

edwardm

Ok i know this has been covered before recently, but i think every individual car is slightly different in its own right and i would like some clarification on a couple of matters.

1. My car temp gauge runs very low compared to most cars i've owned. I originally put this down to removing the TB heating system and also fitting a cold air intake. However, it has become so savage, that even when the car has been run up to operating temperature, switched off and left for half an hour, then switched back on it will always come back onto choke - i have never owned a car like this before, they usually need at least 1-2 hours even in cold weather to cool down. Also, if you go on a long steady run at say 50mph down an 'A' road, when you come to the traffic lights or island junction etc, it will almost certainly come onto choke at approx 1,200rpm because the engine is so cold from the steady cruise. I would say on average, if you imagine an MB6 temp gauge to be 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock, 12 being over heating and 3 being freezing cold, it sits around 2 o'clock, sometimes 2.30 if on a steady cruise. The heaters (according to my friends) aren't the best either, and my car takes a while to warm up. It's not a stuck idle control valve, as the revs aren't all over the place as such, they're relative to the temp gauge, so it genuinely is coming back onto choke even when i have been driving for a while. Is my stat dead? Stuck open?

2. My car seems to be drinking a lot of fuel. I know petrol prices are sky high, and it's easy to waste fuel spinning the nuts off the car in the snow, but i am getting approx 30-40 miles to £10 even driving steadily. Is this linked with the first problem and the car constantly coming back onto choke? I can't really check for leaks in this weather, but when i've had leaks in the past on both Vectra and Corsa, i could smell them instantly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like the thermostat is gone mate.

Removing the TB warmer has a habbit of reducing the running temp too, I think James posted about it a while back.

I'd try replacing the thermostat, and if its not any better, rig the TB warmer back up.

If it's cured after that, I'd sya leave the tb coolant as standard, or buy a thermostat with a slightly higher opening temperature....

If it started at the same time as the bypass mod, I'd put that back on before changing the stat....

It seems the nasty cold wheather has magled a few stats this year, mine too. I drive mainly motorway so have to drive at 90 to keep the interior warm :D

Sounds like the thermostat is gone mate.

Removing the TB warmer has a habbit of reducing the running temp too, I think James posted about it a while back.

I'd try replacing the thermostat, and if its not any better, rig the TB warmer back up.

If it's cured after that, I'd sya leave the tb coolant as standard, or buy a thermostat with a slightly higher opening temperature....

my thermo is def gone when it get the normal temp and i turn on the heaters the temp drops to 2 lines, very annoying as the heaters dont heat and it drinks fuel due to the choke on, all this with the tb bypass is a disaster

not good for fuel, oil, whole engine, and you as your freeze with out heaters

yea choke is on all the time, but if i dont turn on the heaters it dosnt cause it stays at normal operating temp

it dos'nt cause trouble if your thermo is in good working order

Archived