valve stem seals b18c4

dane

hey guys... i got myself a mint white mb6 on Thursday 117k genuine miles full honda service history & all........... but thers smoke on the scene too, it didnt bother me as i got the car for next to nothing, a few people have looked and told me valve seals! is this a big job for diy?? and how wud i know if the rings are damaged too, thanks for looking

If there is lots of blue smoke on vtec then its more than likely piston rings. If there is only blue smoke on startup then it will be you oils seals.

My advise is to do both anyway. The head has to come off anyway to do the seals, its not too much (a few hours) bother to remove the sump and big end bearings to get the pistons out to replace the rings.

If you dont know your way about an engine then do not attempt it. Its a very hard job for an amature.

If it's smokey on lift off, as in when you blip the throuttle a small bit of blue smoke comes out, then I'd be likely to assume stems. If its PLUMES! of smoke in vtec / high revs, I'd go with Oil Seals / piston rings.

I had ruined oil seals on my DC2, that was like a smoke screen from a d**k dastardly cartoon in vtec!

You don't need to remove the head to do the seals. You just need a way of keeping the valves in place when you remove the retainers and springs from them.

The old trick is to feed nylon rope down the spark plug hole and turn ove the engine BY HAND until it locks up against the valves once the cams have been removed. Then you can release the retainer and the rope will keep the valve in place.

Here is a good write up. This guy uses air to keep the valves in situ. I have air, but rope works just as good :)

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1604753

:lol: what a grate idea i had forgot about that

should have listened in collage more

Archived