changing rear discs and pads

nathan123487

will i need to change the wheel bearing at the same time ( apparently on mk3 golfs the discs on the back make up the hub or something ? or hold the bearing in place? ) is civics the same? and whats the procedure ? i dont have a piston winder so will it be possible without one or shall i get a mechanic to do it for me?

cheers chaps :D

just done rear disk'n'pad + caliper, on mine

remove wheel,

slacken off disk securing screw's (had to drill mine out)

remove cailiper+carrier from back of hub

remove the disk (hammer if disks arn't being reused)

thats the disk+pads removed

remove bearing cap (hammer+chisel) around the cap between bearing and cap

use breaker bar/buzz gun/windy gun, to undo bearing nut (can't remember size, 27mm/30mm/32mm)

bearing should just slide off

REMEMBER TO USE THE HAMMER AND CHISEL TO SECURE THE HUB NUT TO THE HUB WHEN YOU HAVE TOUQUED IT UP

BTW, i took the bearings off to paint back plates on mine

just reread the o.p message, the bearing is an seperate item to the disk.

You can get away without a piston winder too mate. Just get the largest flat head driver you can find, use the side of the head, not the actual flat head part, and you can wind them in provided they in good condition!

Winders ain't cheap, £30ish, I've got one, pay for postage both ways and I'll post it to you if you need it.

90% of the time though, I don't bother with it!Large flat head usually does the trick, only use winder in bad situations :D

And remember to turn it anti clockwise!

cheers john.. i might go get the discs today (if theyre 25 pound... i think they was) as thats the last of the money i got left till payday (start a job tommorow :) ) i cant remember if they said they was £25 or £37 hahaha ill prob pop down there later and have a see tho

Archived