Key Fob & Red Key

Guest VTI-S

Any idea where I can get a new fob for my MB6? When I bought my car, the fob didn't come with it. :(

Also, what are the other keys for? I have a red key (I know this should never be put in the ignition, but some clarification would be helpful). Also, I have another seperate black key with a red 'notch' on it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys.

The red key is for re-programming the immobiliser, and so yep, dont ever put it in the ignition!! Dont remember them coming with a red notch in them, is a genuine Honda key?? As for the remote, its Honda only as far as i know, they are coded to your car so you cant just get one from another car and it will work. They are about £75 from Honda i think.

The other option is to find one in a scrappy, but you will need the remote and the receiver from the same car for it to work, the receiver is the black dome next to your interior light! Hope this helps! :ugeek:

The red key is for re-programming the immobiliser, and so yep, dont ever put it in the ignition!! Dont remember them coming with a red notch in them, is a genuine Honda key?? As for the remote, its Honda only as far as i know, they are coded to your car so you cant just get one from another car and it will work. They are about £75 from Honda i think.

The other option is to find one in a scrappy, but you will need the remote and the receiver from the same car for it to work, the receiver is the black dome next to your interior light! Hope this helps! :ugeek:

That helps a lot, thanks! The other black key with red notch is not an official Honda key, and doesn't disable the immobiliser, but does unlock the doors. Probably just a spare which hasn't got the transponder/chip inside.

Yeah sounds like it bud!

Another thing, if anyone wants to order a new remote, you may need to give the parts guy your code, this is a 6 digit code, and normally starts with a 0 (zero). It can be found on your receiver, (the black dome by your interior light).

To remove it, carefully prise off the interior light cover with a small flatblade screwdriver. Once off, you will see 2 bolts, 8 or 10 mm, cant remember!! Undo those and that will allow you to drop the complete unit down. Look on the underside of the receiver, and you will find your indivual code!! Sorted! :ugeek:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

right. In an emergency i've had to use my red key. Long story, but lost my only key (bought with only 1 master) was in a car park and had to get the car recovered home.

Used the boot lock to get in as my understanding was that it made the lock useless but i quickly tried i in the ignition to try and release the steering lock?

What does this mean for my immobiliser situation? Honda already said i had to get another unit on account of not having an original master key from which to copy. sounds odd.

Thanks guys,

Sam

Nah, the red key doesn't damage or ruin the locks, it works in the locks fine, it just tells your immobilisor to go into 'learning' mode, and so if you use it to try and start the car, it wont start it, and can sometimes wipe your immobilsor memory, and so all your keys will no longer work!!! :o

As for needing a new unit, yes im afraid thats right. As you dont have one normal key for the immobilsor to learn from, you will need a new set of keys, including a new red learning key, and a new immobilisor control unit. These can be ordered to key number, so you dont have to change all your locks, OR, you can order a complete lock set aswell, incase you are worried someone will find your key and break in. Its the crappy way the immobilisor works im afraid. Once you have payed for new keys, you wont loose them again.....££££££££££££££!!! :cry::shock:

Archived