clunking suspension?

acivic

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mechanic told me to buy whole upper arms (cambers) (2 arms both left & right side) & its going to cost quite a bit to fit too, the mechanic says the whole strut needs to come out to replace the upper arms, because theres a metal bit at the back preventing it coming out. Is that correct?

Can the upper arms be removed without removing struts?

heres a diagram of the part.

ballsjoint.jpg

Ive seen on ebay just the ball joint for upper arm is available as a spare part. Has anyone here replaced just the ball joint?

I'm quite sure they can, although I had most of my front suspension apart when I changed bushes. Seem to remember that the bushing bolts (27 in diagram) don't have sufficient access to be remove in-situ, but the upper arms should remove without having to completely remove the rest of the knuckle. The metal plate bit bolts (undo nuts 28) from the top, accessed from the engine bay. With the whole front suspension dropped as much as possible, you should have sufficient access. It shouldn't be that big a job at all, easily done in a hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Didjeridave - I think it maybe difficult for me but Im still trying to sort something out. Good job its school hols, dont have to drive the car as much :)

One more question guys (sorry) Ive seen these upper arms are right & left handed, can someone shed some light on how to get it done right?

Whats Honda's method?

e.g is the right/left hand side looking from outside facing front of car bonnet? or is the right/left hand side as seen from sitting inside the car? why cant life be simple?? :(

P.S anyone recommend a place/ good price/good quality place to buy upper arms?

Left of the car is passenger side :)

New OEM/motor factors upper arms are £50-odd which would be adequate, although if you're planning any other mods in the future (particularly lowering), it might be worth considering some camber-adjustable arms. You'll get some very good kit for less than half the price of original honda arms & probably not much more than you'll pay for OEM. Buddy Club & Hardrace come recommended by people on here; check out earlier posts.

Good luck!

Archived