Boot Struts

Guest VTI-S

This may sound like a dumb question :oops: , but is the boot supposed to lift up when unlocked?

Is it a common fault on hatchbacks for it not to lift up?

And is it just a case of replacing the struts? Is it easy to replace them?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I don't think they are meant to lift the boot themselves (I think they didn't even on a brand new vti mb6)...imho they are meant to hold it up once you open it...maybe they can open the last few inches themselves but definatly not the whole way up from totally closed...maybe if you open it yourself a bit than due to the added inertia they would open itself (when they are new), but not after just unlocking the boot

if you find a replacement that is stronger keep us posted since mine are kinda weak already and they cannot be purchsed anymore (the vti had uprated struts because of the added weight of the rear wing...but honda discontinued those uprated ones and the normal ones for smaller engined cars without wing are not strong enough to hold the boot open if you have the rear wing installed...at least that's what my friend who has also vti told me)

btw I've found two of them on ebay.de while searching there for something else. They are more expensive than those posted by VTI-S but since I am from Czech Republic the shipping from Germany will probably make the price pretty much even if not even cheaper for me.

http://cgi.ebay.de/2x-Gasdruckdaempfer- ... 2a01d8cd60

this first one has some more info about them.

Length 515mm

Pushing force 425N (which doesn't seem too shabby but I have no idea how strong are the OEM Honda ones)

http://cgi.ebay.de/2x-Heckklappendaempf ... 58851bbaf4

this second one has no info, will write them an email and keep you posted about the reply.

Archived