Suspension - What fits

Devilfish

£200 for a set of coil overs.......The term wouldnt touch with a barge pole springs to mind

No, I meant that £200 for shocks and over £100 for lowered springs is at least £300 (£350-400 in reality) so why not spend that on coilovers?

and coilover springs...do you mean those ones which try to turn your existing suspension into coilovers? You sure thats a good idea?

Again, no.....I mean proper coilover springs. Demon tweeks sell them and the associated shockes seperately, so you can get the length and strength you want for your application. iirc, they are around £25 each.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The main problem I've found is the confusion with the US 96-00 civics, which are EKs; you'll get the problems stated above. I've even sent a photo to Hardrace to assure them the MB existed (to be fair, it's quite unlikely they'd ever see one!).

But they still fit? The spring rate problem can be solved. And surely a 4 door saloon would weigh as much as a hatch?

Have you heard/thought about the MGZS option? That'll give you a 30mm drop & will fit within the budget you state, even less if you get breakers parts. Loads of earlier posts on the subject.

A minefield it certainly is. Good luck!

Well I've looked at "normal" springs, but 30mm isn't much and in reality is more like 20....

£200 for a set of coil overs.......The term wouldnt touch with a barge pole springs to mind

No, I meant that £200 for shocks and over £100 for lowered springs is at least £300 (£350-400 in reality) so why not spend that on coilovers?

and coilover springs...do you mean those ones which try to turn your existing suspension into coilovers? You sure thats a good idea?

Again, no.....I mean proper coilover springs. Demon tweeks sell them and the associated shockes seperately, so you can get the length and strength you want for your application. iirc, they are around £25 each.

Sounds like you've simply described springs there chap. £25 sounds mighty cheap too, i've been looking at some and I thought they were cheap @ £62 a pair.

As for a kit, I wouldnt spend less than £500 imo

Sounds like you've simply described springs there chap. £25 sounds mighty cheap too, i've been looking at some and I thought they were cheap @ £62 a pair.

As for a kit, I wouldnt spend less than £500 imo

These....

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /1738/3723

Competition springs for coilovers. You can choose the rate, length, diameter. If you know what they need to be for the MB then it's easy....

Yes, I would spend £500 or more if a) I had it, and B) it was worth it for the car.

It's a 1.4 and tbh, altho I like it, I don't see myself keeping it for too much longer. As of next year I plan to get stuck into my project car, which means the honda will eventually be surplus (or replaced with a diesel).

However, in the mean time, I'd like it to look half decent. I don't plan to enter any races or do track days or even go tearing down country roads. I just want it to look a bit different from the normal boring everyday, which it is now.

The drop down boxes at the side give internal diameters which go up to a max of 2.5 inches. most coilovers are I believe 2.25 in, which is catered for.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue. They will fit as coilover replacements and are available in a wide variety of lengths and rates, so are suitable for the job.

OK, yes they'll fit & you could get the correct spring rate for the weight of the car front and back, but I think I see Ryan's point; those springs are just lowering springs & if they are sold as 'coilover' springs then they are being misleading; coilovers are complete, adjustable-height spring/damper units. If you know exactly the drop you're after, then theoretically you could get dampers that are length-matched to the springs but I don't know if such a choice of dampers is available (anyone?). By getting the MGZS complete shocks you would effectively be going for this option. If shorter springs are put on standard dampers, they'll be compressed all the time & will wear out much quicker but this will do the job for you; if you don't use the car much, this could be the option to go for for your budget. 'Coilover conversion' kits have a pretty bad reputation from what I've heard.

Sorry if I'm going over stuff you know already!!

The drop down boxes at the side give internal diameters which go up to a max of 2.5 inches. most coilovers are I believe 2.25 in, which is catered for.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue. They will fit as coilover replacements and are available in a wide variety of lengths and rates, so are suitable for the job.

Not arguing chap. It does seem you have been mis-lead as to what coilovers are. Coilovers aren simply the coil over the damper, hence the name.

If you bought a set of these you could just get shorter ones than oem and it would lower the car. That would be the real bodge way to do it and you'd need to find out all the ratings/spec of the oem stuff which isnt just measuring the height. As you can see on that site there is more to it than that.

If you are after something to lower the car on the cheap then just whack some springs on there. They will shorten the life of the damper and the ride will be bouncy or spend a bit more and see if you can get a normal suspension kit rather than coilovers

Yea, I do know what coilovers are. I've been around modified cars for 27 years now.

Yes, a coilover is a complete unit, any numpty knows that, but the spring got on there, so it will come off....and therefore can be replaced by one of similar length and diameter but slightly stiffer rate. And no this won't affect the damper portion of it because, as we know, the damper has adjustable rates too....and that was my point

Anyway, I just looked on the Meister-R site to check out the spring rates for the rears....

MB is 6kg/mm

EK/EJ is.......6kg/mm!

the ek/ej ones are shorter tho

tbh mate the way you had described it was rather confusing. If you have coilover with adjustable damper settings then yea, using different size springs wont affect it. I was talking about oem dampers as I thought you had oem suspension

Archived