can someone confirm??

ep82

OK. need to ask this. Not saying I dont trust SteveMB6 but I just need this to be confirmed before I take it any further.

Me and my friend tried to fit the springs I bought from hippyross which were Steve's Old springs. I am saying 'tried' as it started to rain and got heavier and then stopped but pee'd down so we had to stop.

we managed to jack the car up completely and taken the main bolt off at the fork. undid the 2 strut bolts and seeing what else we needed to undo before we had to stop.

We tried to see by counting the coils and measuring the springs to see if the new ones are any different to OEM.

both, the new one and the OEM fronts have 10/11 coils so I thought these new ones could be OEM springs. Then I measured the lenght of the new ones, which are 13" and measured the ones on the shock, which is 12"

Can someone tell me how much does the OEM spring shirnks when it's compressed in the shock? if it's only an inch then could these new springs I bought be ''uprated'' or even OEM springs?

New springs 13"

f8c9d422.jpg

OEM springs 12"

bd4f7de9.jpg

I just need this to be confirmed as I am going to book my mates garage out for tomorrow afternoon so we can work on it and it's going to cost, If it looks standard then I wont bother to try and fit these.

BTW. these are supposed to be -40mm

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I though most aftermarket springs tend to be a different Colour. But steve did say he wasn't sure if they were jamex...... :? He said he liked them as they look standard.

Tbh I need to know if I have been conned :? Will need to contact the member and try to get my money back

The standard Springs are under huge compression when in the shock that's why you have to use spring compressors before you take the top bolt off, so if you think about it that's why the spring is shorter because it's compressed, you will probably be able to put those lowered springs in with just pushing down on the top cup.

You can't really tell anything about the rate of a spring from the unsprung length, the compressed length or even number of coils really; it's all down to the stiffness/elasticity of the material. I'm sure I had to compress springs far more than 1" using spring compressors to get them on the damper. It would be quite possible for the springs to be exactly the same length as stock & compress to the -40 they're meant to be when installed. Give it a try first!

I was just asking if anyone can give me the measurements of the OEM springs so I can compare them to the ones you sold me. Need to know how long are the springs when they are not on the shocks and how much they compress.

I just dont want to......actually havent got any spare cash to pay my friend to work on my car if they are wrong or just the same size.

Insurance for both cars, nursury, bills and the fact I just got fired this month, really leave me with hardly any money for the rest of the month.

You can't really tell anything about the rate of a spring from the unsprung length, the compressed length or even number of coils really; it's all down to the stiffness/elasticity of the material. I'm sure I had to compress springs far more than 1" using spring compressors to get them on the damper. It would be quite possible for the springs to be exactly the same length as stock & compress to the -40 they're meant to be when installed. Give it a try first!

Cool ;) Thanks for the reply will try them again maybe next weekend now and see how it goes

Archived