2 battery's ????

andrew1

I'd be interested to hear why you wish to install an additional battery? It would be easy enough, but if the second battery were to be a distance away (boot etc), the cable & switch would need to be very heavy duty; the cable's not so much of an issue, but the switch might be pricey - the cranking current draw can be hundreds of amps.

you dont need to run it on a switch mate.

The only reason imo to run a split charge system (which is what you would want) is if you spend a lot of time with the stereo on and the engine off.

Firstly, the battery needs to be a sealed battery. You cannot use a normal lead acid battery as they vent fumes. You dont want that in the car.

Look into sealed AGM batteries.

To wired it up run a run of 0awg from the + on the front battery to the rear battery. Within 6" of EACH battery you need an inline fuse holder with fuse so thats 2 fuses on that cable in total.

Earth wise you need to run 0awg again from the battery to either the bootfloor OR a run of 0awg to the earth on the front battery.

In that case, I would suggest you consider replacing the stock with a much higher capacity battery, then run cables to it from the original battery location. You could connect the two in parallel so that they both charge, but if you really want to switch between batteries, that will be trickier than it first seems. Knowing the cranking current draw would be useful, but I'd estimate 300A cabling would be sufficient.

In that case, I would suggest you consider replacing the stock with a much higher capacity battery, then run cables to it from the original battery location. You could connect the two in parallel so that they both charge, but if you really want to switch between batteries, that will be trickier than it first seems. Knowing the cranking current draw would be useful, but I'd estimate 300A cabling would be sufficient.

thanks if i don't fit a switch how do i run them then ?

Yup, as Ryan's method above! Positives to positives, negatives to negatives or the chassis (the latter will save you on cabling too).

Ryan: my suggestion was to replace with a higher capacity one in the boot, not the bay.

I suppose you could use standard lead acid batteries too if you constructed an enclosure, but you'd need to make sure it was properly bolted down & had ventilation to the exterior.

Archived