Alloy wheel advice please

Mental Micky

Hi there,

The alloys on my 1998 1.8 Aerodeck VTI have deteriorated through corrosion and flaking and are leaking quite badly, the cost of refurbishment up here in the highlands is just not economical.

A friend of a friend has some nice looking alloys with decent tyres at a very reasonable price and i was looking for advice on whether they would fit and be legal, the specs are as follows:

wheels 4 x 114 offset et 35, tyres 215/40z/R17.7 and he had them on a 4th generation Prelude.

I have asked at a couple of the wheel selling shops up here and they have advised that a 45mm offset is as low as you can go.

Any advice gratefuly accepted and if not viable anyone in the area that has some decent wheels, preferably with tyres at a reasonable price I would be interested, would prefer to keep to original size for insurance purposes, etc but anything considered if the price is right.

Many thank's,

Mick

Hi Paul, many thanks' for the prompt reply, I think this is the same guide i found earlier and it said some of these are unconfirmed, do you know if that is the case or if anyone has run that sort of offset?

Thanks' again and apologies for being such a wussie. is that pirates black the colour that is also called pearlescent that is purple and black in the sunlight? if so mine is same colour.

Mick

Hi Paul, many thanks' for the prompt reply, I think this is the same guide i found earlier and it said some of these are unconfirmed, do you know if that is the case or if anyone has run that sort of offset?

Thanks' again and apologies for being such a wussie. is that pirates black the colour that is also called pearlescent that is purple and black in the sunlight? if so mine is same colour.

Mick

Yes it is mate!!! I'm running this,,,, link >>>>>> viewtopic.php?f=127&t=5382 <<<<<<<<

Saw your car the other night when i was looking round for others with 17's love those wheels of yours, really suit the car.

Thanks' very much for your help and patience, might give mine a wash and a polish if i get the wheels and put a picture up, be a while though, the dreaded mot is due and it needs a wee bit of work.

Saw your car the other night when i was looking round for others with 17's love those wheels of yours, really suit the car.

Thanks' very much for your help and patience, might give mine a wash and a polish if i get the wheels and put a picture up, be a while though, the dreaded mot is due and it needs a wee bit of work.

No worrys mate we are all here to help each other! :D:D:D Get some pic's up and a project thread!!! 1"£££$££"!! 1"£££$££"!!

Hi Mick, as you've realised, a lot of sites/centres have the incorrect information that the MB6/MC2 has offset 35-42; stock is actually 55, which is about as high as it goes & limits our choices. The fitment place you've been to were quite correct in saying 45 was about as low as you should go. I've run et42 17/7J's with 2054017's on mine & they were OK, just. Now have et45 16/7J 1954516 & the added factor of a smaller diameter tyre gives better clearance & will allow dropping the car. I'd like to go for some 17/8J et53 (Team Dynamics do some Pro Race 1.2s in that size) in the future to get it back close to stock geometry with a wider wheel, not for a good few paydays though!

Hi Mick, as you've realised, a lot of sites/centres have the incorrect information that the MB6/MC2 has offset 35-42; stock is actually 55, which is about as high as it goes & limits our choices. The fitment place you've been to were quite correct in saying 45 was about as low as you should go. I've run et42 17/7J's with 2054017's on mine & they were OK, just. Now have et45 16/7J 1954516 & the added factor of a smaller diameter tyre gives better clearance & will allow dropping the car. I'd like to go for some 17/8J et53 (Team Dynamics do some Pro Race 1.2s in that size) in the future to get it back close to stock geometry with a wider wheel, not for a good few paydays though!

Just i thought,,, would et38 be ok on mb6 mate? :?::?::?:

They will physically fit; it's probably at the absolute limit, but they'll likely stick out from the arches & then would fail an MOT. If you have or will lower definitely not recommended & at 17mm difference in wheel centre, the geometry will be significantly out with higher rate of tyre wear, handling badly effected etc.

Archived