Ignition barrel problem

dj jordy b

Hey there was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the mb6 ignition barrels?

This morning i went to start my civic and when i turned the key so as the dash lights should come on they just remained out, turned the key a little bit between position 2 (dash lights on) and position 3 (starter motor) and dash lights up but once i start car and release key the car dies out and once again dash lights go out???

Faulty ignition barrel perhaps? Car does remain going if once started the key is held a little bit further past position 2 but once you let go of key dies again.

Cheers Ryan

Hi. if you take the cover off the steering column inside the car. look on the back of the barrel and take off the 2 screws that hold a half brown, half white round plastic box onto the back of the barrel. then the plastic box comes off the back of the barrel. there are 4 clips on 1 half of the plastic box that you just pulled off. careflly pop the clips and the 2 halves come apart. use white spirit/pure iso alcohol and a cotton ear bud to clean the contacts inside both the halves and then put it all back together.

sounds difficult but ive done it on my civic 2 times to fix the exact same problem. follow the instructions and its easy.

let me know if you need a vid and ill make one up. ill probably make one anyway in next few week and maybe it will make a sticky in the how to's.

That's good to know....

mine did it just after i got it. dim/no dash lights on 2nd ignition click. car would start then die when letting off starter.

opened the bit i was talking about and it was clogged with thick black gloop.

cleaned it out and started a peach.

happened again a few months later and same thing.

would keep running if held just past 2nd click.

cleaned again and light coat of contact grease and been fine since.

looks like a vid is in order, give me a few days/weeks and ill post it.

• 4 weeks later...

glad i found this as it happened to me tonight, thanks people. great help, i had to sand my conections down also as it wasnt enough but its sorted now.