Handling conundrum

mantior

Yo folks

Got a strange problem with my MB6. Ever since I bought it it has had a real bad twitch, especially when you cross the centre "shoulder" of the road - ie when overtaking etc. It's quite scary at times, especially given my daily commute is a bit banzai.

I've checked all suspension components and nothing has any play. I've also fitted Koni Str.T's (not that they help much with handling mind) and the only thing I can think it is, is my chinese "DoubleStar" tyres which my car came with.

Has anyone ever known tyres to cause such straightline stability problems? I'm going to be changing the tyres to a better make and lower profile anyway, but I don't want to knacker my new tyres if there's something up with my suspension set up. Strangely, the tyres do grip very well whenever I dare push the car near it's limit around corners - it's fine as long as you don't mind your door handles scraping on the road and the fact that you are permanently performing 90 degree turns of the wheel to keep it on the black stuff due to its sketchiness.

Any useful input appreciated.

Its more likely its the rear toe thats causing your problem, most cars a set with a little toe in, which helps stability, however with double wishbone suspension, when lowering the car, the rear cambers up, and toes in, too much toe in will be twitchy under a bump situation.

That kinda makes sense - I'd never actually considered that as you cross over on to the other side the front wheel will be on the downwards slope of the shoulder and the rear will briefly still be on the upwards slope - gonna get a 4 wheel alignment done and see how she goes.

Cheers for your input - will be well happy if I can get her to be spankable without actually being scared.

put new tyres on my front of car it transformed it !!had bad whitelining issues b4

puting suspension on uses a new camber expectation on the tyres it will give probs swap back to fronts :idea:

its like blowing on a baloons side it will go toward as apposed to the expected :shock:

or like a wing of an aircraft )

. drag.gif1 blow here ,,,,...... ^^ it creates lift :oops: what a load of bolox :lol: try tyres as above first :|eekout.gif1 ^

Right.... just dropped off car for a 4 wheel alignment at an ATS next to my work car park. What a tool the manager is. I have never met anyone so full of Chris Rap. Tried telling me how they can be really tricky to align them at the back and went on about rear steering arms because he used to have a 4WS Prelude. Once I shut him up about that and asked him to fit my new rear drop links he acted as if I just asked him to clean Buckingham Palace with a toothbrush -

"Just pop some drop links on? Do you have any idea how long that takes!?" I told him "Yeah, I've done dozens over the years, and it takes about 10 minutes if you know what you're doing." "Oh...." he says

He then started banging on about not being able to fit other people's parts, so I told him that I bought it direct from their parts supplier...

This went on for some time until I ran him all out of BS and he said he'd give me a ring and see how he gets on.

I think it is the tyres myself - it did the jiggling thing before I even lowered it, it did it when I lowered it 60mm and it still does it now it's lowered 30mm. I know what lowering does to camber - I have spent entire months fiddling with suspension set ups. I just wish I'd never bought these Koni's, should have spent an extra couple of hundred and gone for coilies man, the wallowy uselessness is really annoying me now.

:lol: good read there mate some managers :roll: full of BS could have done the DL by the time he finished gasing :lol:

let us know the outcome and the print out findings b4 after :idea:

hope goes to plan ;)

Wellity wellity.I picked my car up after work and Mr BS Manager started again with some spiel about how it's been lowered and he didn't have the settings to what it should be now it's lowered and that they couldn't do a full 4 wheel alignment until their new 4 wheel jig arrives.

However a somewhat more useful individual who I'm chummy with there told me he set it all to factory apart from the camber obviously.

And the verdict is:

All sorted. Drives really nicely now - simply can't believe the difference, no more heart in mouth ovetakes. Just wait till I get my mitts on some coilies and decent tyres, the hills will be alive with the sound of VTEC.

And to top it all off the chummy chap didn't charge me, AND he filled my tyres with nitrogen to the correct pressure - top man!

Thumbs down to Billy BS Manager and a big thumbs up to chummy lad!

I shall return though once I've got my coilies on in a few weeks and they've got their shiny new jig.

BOOYAKA!