Engine Build

Nav

Hi guys,

I have a few questions regarding an engine rebuild;

When rebuilding an engine, say if the block was re-bored, do you re-bore the block to the next size up from the original size? Is that dimension set or do you bore it to the next size pistons available?

If the engine was not re-bored but just honed can I use the original pistons with a new set of rings or do I have to change the pistons as well?

When rebuilding an engine, does the values and springs need to be replaced or the old ones still useable? Do I have to change it if the engine was re-bored?

And is there a list of standard things that needs changing when building an engine; i.e. bearings, gaskets etc.

And one last question, is it better to get a decent second hand used gearbox or build the one already have to use with the new engine. (Mine is crunching in almost all gears; first gear is a pain sometimes to get into, have to yank it into gear. Second, Third and fourth crunches when going to gear. Fifth seems ok and reverse again not that smooth. Even when in gear the gear stick moves around like its in neutral, soo much play :(:( )

If anyone can shed some light into these questions it will most appreciated.

1"£££$££"!!

next size available 25thou a time i think,dependent of piston maufacture and availablity

standard bore honed is a clean up usally re-ring it

can use old valve train if condition correct spec

check valve guide tollerance or renew as well as new inlet seals.

reseat valves and decoke

full gasket kit

renew big end and main bearings

may need new synchros on the box or bushes may have gone

s/hand maybe a better optiontest b4 buying :idea:

get a workshop manual :idea: