D Series Head Bolts / Head Studs

harVTEC

Alright everyone,

Quick question, are the head bolts on D series engines stretch bolts? I assumed they were, but was getting a price from my local motor factors and their supplier doesn't sell them for my engine, which according to them only happens when the standard bolts do not stretch. Therefore you can reuse them. My local also said that's probably why they are so expensive from Honda (due to not being a high demand part)

Before I go and replace my headgasket and use my original head studs I wanted a second opinion, my local motor factors aren't the usual useless tw*ts, good couple of old boys who certainly know what they're talking about.

Thanks in advance.

harVTEC

Yep they are the real deal. Haynes recommend marking the original positions of the bolts and refitting them back as they were and to retap the threads-probably a good idea. Then lubricate with clean oil and tighten in sequence (should be easy to find on the net, its the usual inside- out style) as you would for sh!tty stretch bolts.

Not done this job on a D yet but as they're so well made it should be a lot easier than most engines I would have thought (it's a heart stopping job on an Alfa I can tell you!).

Also Haynes are a bit vague (as usual :roll: ) about the torque sequence but I think they have it for the D15Z8 as- 20nm / 49nm / 67nm then re sequence at 67. Best to check with Adam or a Honda tech about that though.