Loss of power while driving then won't start.

ddjmagic

I have a 98 Civic Aerodeck VTi.

The past month it has been having problems, all of sudden it loses power and is completely dead, then it won't start at all, but after about 30 mins it will fire up and be fine for a few days. Had to call the AA out 3 times but It starts again before they get there or when they arrive.

I did a part service about 6 weeks ago, it had Plugs, Air, Fuel and Oil filter changed and new oil.

Its quite hard to do any troubleshooting since it can randomly start up again.

Any idea where should I start? Is it safe to keep driving (don't want to damage anything)

Thanks.

better to replace it. mean time its a long shot but inside the distributor check all the connections are tight.

problems like this are sometimes of an electrical nature. the connections get hot and expand hence no or poor connection. then when they cool down they make again.

I was going to replace my relay through my work and they wanted 50 quid. We decided to open the relay up for a look. All the soldering points were getting a bit tatty with age. We resoldered it and its like brand new. Theres plenty of videos on youtube if you need help with it or just get someone to do it for ya buddy.

I was going to replace my relay through my work and they wanted 50 quid. We decided to open the relay up for a look. All the soldering points were getting a bit tatty with age. We resoldered it and its like brand new. Theres plenty of videos on youtube if you need help with it or just get someone to do it for ya buddy.

^^^ :idea:

Just a quick update, the car wouldn't start again today, switched out the fuel pump relay with the one from my 92-95 civic , it started straightaway, put the faulty relay in the 92-95 civic and that wouldn't start so definitely the fuel pump relay (Thanks weetec)