Outside coolant leak - head gasket?

Paul67

Hi All,

Yesterday I changed the distributor cap, rota arm and plug leads. After starting the car up and left it idling for a few mins I noticed coolant slowly leaking down the seam between the engine and gearbox. On further inspection it appears to be coming from the head gasket near the distributor side of the engine, although there are no signs of oil and water mixing together or bubbles in the coolant bottle and the car drives very smoothly, so it seems it just an outside coolant leak. Ive checked it not coming from where the top hose meets the engine and it I am fairly confident it is coming from the head gasket.

Has anyone ever used had this problem with their car and does anyone know if there are good products I could put in the coolant system to seal the outside coolant leak, or is my only real choice to get the head gasket replaced?

Thanks!

Good news, it wasn't my head gasket! The coolant was leaking from where the rubber pipe for the heaters meets the plastic intake manifold and tracking along the join of the head gasket and then down the side of engine/gearbox. Phew! :D

I was driving over my local eurocarpart today to try a bottle of k-seal when the temperature gauge nearly when into the red because suddenly the heater pipe completely give way and showered my engine with coolant. I've never been so happy! :lol: