Electric Power Steering Pump

DeLaSoul

Hi,

Okay, bit of an unusual one here but I am looking to remove the standard power zapping power steering pump and replace it with an electric one. I also need to clear some space at the front of the engine, so electric pump seems to be the simplest option allowing me some power steering. What I can't find is someone who has done it on any car that has managed to keep the speed sensitivity of the pump intact. Some of the ones I have seen around the web are set up using a switch on the dashboard so the pump can be turned on or off but I want to try and keep the original feel of my car. Toyota, Mazda, Peugout, and several american brands have all done electro hydraulic steering so the pumps are out there ;)

Question - Has anyone else looking into this and if so did they find any good info on linking the speed of the pump to the speed of the car? I honestly believe it can be done, but I haven't seen one yet for reference. I know pumps from the Toyota MR-2 can be made to fit and are available on the Bay, just want to make it speed sensitive. A guy over on the K20A.org forum has listed the parts and wiring diagrams but still not made it speed sensitive :evil: !

Cheers,

Dave

Not really, the steering would then be set to different levels by hand - I want it to be controlled by vehicle speed. Some pumps/steering ECU's have a vehicle speed input, but I've not seen anyone yet get it so it work as OEM :(