Water build up in spare wheel well on MC1 Aerodeck

jamezzz

I have an ongoing issue of water building up in the spare wheel well in my 2000 MC1 Aerodeck. On an EK4 Civic I had before, I had the same issue which was caused by failing light gaskets. I fixed them with a bead of silcone onto the perished gaskets and this fixed the leak. Is this likely to be the cause of my water leak on my Aerodeck? If it is the cause, I take it the rear lights come out pretty easily? Thanks.

If thats not the cause id possibly pop your head under and look underneath the spare wheel well. There are some rubber bungs what the outside corrodes and pushes the bung out or up slightly. i just siliconed mine back in and ground the rust off.

I suffer the same problem with mine, having had the lights out there isn't a gasket on mine but the only hole into the boot is for the wiring to pass through and it's fitted with a rubber bung to prevent water getting in. Also had all the boot panels out taped up the vents on side siliconed and taped over rubber bungs in boot floor and water still gets in. All I've done is drill small holes in the side panel floor once the boot was stripped out and also a few small holes in wheel well in the lowest points to prevent water collecting. Just make sure you paint the holes to prevent rust. Sorry I can't give you the exact answer as to where it's getting in but hope this might be of some help. :)

I suffer the same problem with mine, having had the lights out there isn't a gasket on mine but the only hole into the boot is for the wiring to pass through and it's fitted with a rubber bung to prevent water getting in. Also had all the boot panels out taped up the vents on side siliconed and taped over rubber bungs in boot floor and water still gets in. All I've done is drill small holes in the side panel floor once the boot was stripped out and also a few small holes in wheel well in the lowest points to prevent water collecting. Just make sure you paint the holes to prevent rust. Sorry I can't give you the exact answer as to where it's getting in but hope this might be of some help. :)

Sorry about multiple replies, still new to posting :D

That'll get your post count up ;) .

I have found that water tracks to the spare wheel well from the roof via the boot side window- I think it is the drain from the sunroof to the exit behind the rear bumper getting blocked possibly.

here is what i did.. the rubber seal around the boot where the boot shuts is compressed which should provide an airseal aswell as a water seal.. but as the rubber will eventually perish this causes water to run/trickle directly back in to the car. noticable where the boot catch is. usual wear n tear....

the fix is buy a new boot rubber or,to cut a slit around the bottom towards the outside about 5"long.

this then allows the water directly out as opposed to trickle back in to the car when the boot is shut when raining..... get a compressor and inflate this rubber seal. youll the see where there rips and tears are. water makes its way down within the rubber tube and leaks inside.... a build up of dust is a dead giveaway sign of where the water runs within the panels.

Thanks for all the info. I will give the boot seal a check and also invstigate the sunroof drain issue. The water runs seem to come into the spare wheel well from the sides. It's not the bungs as they are fine and have used them to drain the water out as sometimes the water in the well could make a good pond. Will check all this at the weekend at let you know how I get on. Cheers!