Speakers Whistling,

rossselsby

my stereo speakers are currently whistling when I'm driving along listening to music. Soon as I turn the stereo off, the whistling goes.

My stereo has been wired up weirdly, for some reason the sub is running off the battery as normal but then the power is going from the battery, to the sub, then to the stereo.

Any thoughts?.....?

Cheers,

If my understanding is correct Its not your speakers that are whistling its your sub!

I have got the same problem atm in my MC2, im experimenting with a few things and I will let you know!

A good way to be sure wether its your speakers or your sub thats whistling is that Unplug your remote wire from the back of the sub/amp i.e. Turning off the sub+amp completely and then go for a quick test drive...

Obviously if you still hear whistling from your speakers then you know for definate its your speakers but if you dont then as I said it may well be your sub!

Try doing what I said and keep us posted! As I said i am in the process of figuring things out in my car once I find a strong solution I shall update!

Good Luck!

It sounds like you have a bad earth, or you have your power lead to your sub running along the same area as your speaker wires. You can get supressors, or the best thing to do it run your speaker wire down one side of the car, and your power and trigger/remote wire down the otherside....a pain in the bum, but that should fix it. Like vti-aerodeck says, keep us posted on your findings!! 8-)

No not running a pioneer head unit. Got one of them all in one units, gps, card reader, tv etc etc, however the cowboys that put it in cut all the wires at the back, the wires to the AUX, to the GPS, to any tv's you might put on the head rests for passengers in the back seat, the tv ariel wire etc etc. The systems seems to run from the battery to the sub, then from the sub to the stereo, isn't that arse backwards???

It is defo the sub though, been out for test drive with sub off and no whistling. What's weird though is that the whistling goes up as the revs go up.

Thanks for info guys!

Ross

take the earth off, sand it down to bare metal then try again. if the whistling is still there then you might have an earth track fault in your system. to check that connect an earth from your headunit to the outer part of the phono plug that goes to the amp

It is defo the sub though, been out for test drive with sub off and no whistling. What's weird though is that the whistling goes up as the revs go up.

Ross

Thats because,

As your alternator spins to generate charge capacity for the battery, it is causing resistance and as a result a WHINE in the subwoofer, (please correct me if I am wrong anyone!)

As I had said I was in the process of trying a few thing... well heres a quick solution that you can try...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165626

Its got a good wiring diagram on the packaging and should be pretty straightforward to install!

Good Luck & Keep us posted!

Archived