Poly Rear Trailing arm bushes Yes or No whos fitted them?

Guest jimbob738

OK So before doing the correct research i went and bought poly RTA bushes for my VTI-S now upon reading they dont allow the Honda Rear Trailing Arm setup to perform how it was desgined i.e Flex as the should, can anyone on here enlighten me if they have them fitted and if any ill effects have been suffered and what they are, i am thinking of scraping the plan to fit them and go get some genuine Honda ones at £20 each (Just rang lookers derby).

not liking the reading about them causing bad oversteer and the rear becoming very light on heavy breaking Civiclife members have all bar 2 muppets said stick to OEM bushes anyone on here actually have experiance of them? alos not your mate brian has fitted them as said they added 900bhp to his civic please genuine accounts needed.

Thanks

Kinda seen this on another forum if anyones interested might help folks figure out if your for or against RTA poly bushes this explains it nicely:

Re: Energy suspension RTA...KOZY GET IN HERE

Yea I got them. Initial thoughts were good, rear end much more planted and predictable. Cheap and easy to install too (install is one thing, removing the old ones is another entirely! )

Now, having had them for a while, I'm not so sure. The rear RTAs flex the way they do to induce passive rear steer in reaction to the suspension loading, as well as dynamically toeing in under braking to improve stability. If you remove the ability to flex, you remove this built in handling trait, which could work in your favour, or against it. Fitting these will scub off a nominal amount of that braking stabililty, by virtue of increasing the toe out from where it would otherwise have been. If you keep everything balanced, then this could work in your favour by increasing your turn in response under braking. If you mismatch a load of components like I did with my brakes, camber and ARB, then it makes the back end twitchy as **** and harder to drive. There are other similar effects on toe angle with regards to lateral loading, although I'm not sure of their effects exactly.

If you you are fitting low, stiff suspension and restricting it's movement anyway, then the downsides aren't going to be noticeable. In fact, if significantly lowered, they could well be beneficial because you'll be running in a different part of the suspensions toe curve anyway, in which case locking it down is certainly preferable. If you are keeping the stock suspension however, then you are going to notice some changes, and they won't necessarily be good. I still run quite high, soft suspension so the downsides were noticeable to me, if I keep this setup then I would like to go back to decent rubber bushes for the RTAs.

Last edited by Kozy; 11-10-2011 at 05:19 PM.

I have these fitted on my eg hatch coming on to 2 years not a single problem also got the same ones fitted on both off the Integras again no issues. All 3 cars get pushed to the limits so have been tried and tested with zero issues. Brand used energy suspension. Stop stressing and fit them nothing to worry about ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I Have fitted (one side so far) spherical bearings in place of bushes, removing the old bush is not that bad a job and the bearings bolt in place.

I'll post up how they feel after next trackday, I really doubt I'll notice any difference on the road in winter other than a little more noise?