ABS ON MB6/MC2

S4DAM

wish i had ABS and an LSD i was sliding all over the place on monday roads had black ice topped off with snow! took me over 2 hours to travel 24 miles :(

should've taken a video, ken block gymkhana aberdeen style. 8-)

i love driving on ice/snow, bit annoying when you need to get places tho lol...

:lol: ive got a video on my project thread of me being ken block lol ;)

same love going out for fun when time is not an issue but not fun at all when you are late for college :(

During summer it's really seldom, but now during winter time and my driving style, ABS is having some work to do ;)

Okay usually it's just ice under some wheel during braking, I have also felt that sometimes that ABS on M kicks in quite early and with quite small rotation speed differences. But okay it keeps the car really stable even in corner braking situations.

But well, my winter tires are having their last winter, just 5 mm deep thread on front wheels and just Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi:s so no metal spikes, so in my opinion those are almost summer tires. It's just too slippery on hard ice, on snow though those are okay. I'd say that RSi + snow is quite close to Summer tire + gravel kind of grip. One my Spanish friend was quite scared on snow last winter when visiting Finland, if you don't know the grip and travel 80mph on snowy road, somebody might be scared WACK11111

Just love the LSD though, Civic is not bad going in snow even without it, but with LSD it is a beast going through the snow. One big factor is that front suspension has a good travel. If car rises on top of snow, Civic still has some weight on front wheels and keeps on going. Still, i would love to have four wheel drive in MC, as far as i know, it could be built with old CR-V gearbox and rear diff and axles, hubs etc from older (88-91) AWD Civic, but it would be impossible to have plates on that kind of build :(

• 2 weeks later...

Never in normal driving conditions in this car but don't drive stupidly fast as I want it to last.

Felt it a lot recently with snow and ice but the light never came on when it was operating, not sure it does as the lamp comes on with ignition as normal. You hear the pump kick in too as it's a hydraulic ABS system (I think!). Gotta say though that the weight of the B18 up front gives plenty of good grip going up inclines in snow. I've had to get out and push cars in front that were just spinning wheels then back into the Civic and it just goes, summer tyres and all!

Had it come on once in my old MB6 in the dry but that was just before a heavy impact from around 50mph and my foot was just about through the floor. Needless to say I never drove that car again!

Never in normal driving conditions in this car but don't drive stupidly fast as I want it to last.

Felt it a lot recently with snow and ice but the light never came on when it was operating, not sure it does as the lamp comes on with ignition as normal. You hear the pump kick in too as it's a hydraulic ABS system (I think!). Gotta say though that the weight of the B18 up front gives plenty of good grip going up inclines in snow. I've had to get out and push cars in front that were just spinning wheels then back into the Civic and it just goes, summer tyres and all!

Had it come on once in my old MB6 in the dry but that was just before a heavy impact from around 50mph and my foot was just about through the floor. Needless to say I never drove that car again!

drag.gif1 The joys of LSD crazy.gif1

• 2 weeks later...
not sure it does as the lamp comes on with ignition as normal. You hear the pump kick in too as it's a hydraulic ABS system (I think!).

No, ABS light should not come on when engine is running if there is no fault, it is basically "ABS Fault" light, so even on aggressive braking on slippery road light stays off. Traction controls on some cars flashes light when operating, but ABS is "silent" system, just some pump/valve sound and small "kicking" at brake pedal.

On turning ignition on ABS lamp comes on for couple of seconds and goes off if everything is OK.